Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Record Cold Likely

Thanks

Default Thermometers

Yes, it was red, so probably alcohol. My thermometer at home is also red. I just assumed my one at home was a mercury thermometer as it was old and I was ignorant of the fact that they made alcohol thermometers. I guess the fact it goes down to -60 would be the giveaway. What Bill said earlier about it not making sense to have a measuring instrument marked for -40 when it couldn' accurately measure that temp should have been my clue. Thanks guys for straightening me out on this. Obviously my interests in MW are for reasons other than my meteorological curiosity, but I'm learning! So, I guess that answers my original question, and it really was -40 (or close to) in Rangeley!
    KDT

Thanks

Whitefield, NH went calm 3 hours ago and their temp is already at -15F. Now all we need is their airmass to dry out. They still have a dewpoint of -25F...and it can't get colder than the dewpoint.

Meanwhile on Mount Washington the cold air mass has come and gone. It slipped by early this afternoon. Their temps are on the rise.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Whitefield, NH went calm 3 hours ago and their temp is already at -15F. Now all we need is their airmass to dry out. They still have a dewpoint of -25F...and it can't get colder than the dewpoint.

Meanwhile on Mount Washington the cold air mass has come and gone. It slipped by early this afternoon. Their temps are on the rise.
    Saranac Lake is already -25 at 11pm...if it keeps cooling like that then they should be a lock to hit -40 by 8am. Their current dew point is -30.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by treant985
    Saranac Lake is already -25 at 11pm...if it keeps cooling like that then they should be a lock to hit -40 by 8am. Their current dew point is -30.
    Uggh....its not happening. Either the air isn't dry enough or there is the slightest breeze. Coldest I have seen in -31F at Whitefield. Maybe -30F at Saranac. SLK hit -27F just after midnight.

Edit: It was a layer of cirrus clouds. NE Vermont and northern NH escaped the clouds so they are going to have the coldest temps. It will be interesting to see what the co-op observers report.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Mount Washington: WARMEST in NH!

BERLIN -25
    CONCORD -2
    JAFFREY -7
    KEENE -8
    LACONIA -6
    LEBANON -17
    MANCHESTER 1
    MT WASHINGTON 7
    NASHUA 1
    PLYMOUTH ARPRT 1
    PLYMOUTH STATE -2
    PORTSMOUTH -0
    ROCHESTER -0
    WHITEFIELD -31

Thanks

Looks like the -31 at Whitefield is the low report for this morning.

By the way, here are the coldest March temps for Mt. Washington since 1948:

3/03/1950 -38
    3/03/2003 -37
    3/06/2007 -37
    3/12/1984 -32
    3/01/1980 -30
    3/07/2007 -30

Thanks

A station called Island Pond Airport in Vermont checked in with -34F. I don't think they are official though. They hit -35F the night before and nobody seemed to care so that data is suspect.

Another station in Vermont called Sutton 2NE had a low of -31F.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    A station called Island Pond Airport in Vermont checked in with -34F. I don't think they are official though. They hit -35F the night before and nobody seemed to care so that data is suspect.

Another station in Vermont called Sutton 2NE had a low of -31F.
    "Island Pond" has a page on the National Climatic Data Center's website, so it may be an official station. It looks like there are two stations, one "Island Pond" and the other "Island Pond Airport," so I don't know if the Airport is considered official too....

Is this the same place you got your VT temps? http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/validPr...=HYD&node=KBTV I just found that page, and it lists a lot more stations than the other NWS pages I've been using....

Thanks

That's essentially the same page. Just a list of co-op observers from around the forecast area.
    Bill
    EasternLight