Thread: Walking Through History on South Uncanoonuc Mountain

Thanks

Default Walking Through History on South Uncanoonuc Mountain

I had a few free hours this past Saturday, so I decided to checkout South Uncanoonuc Mountain. I've never heard a good thing about this peak due to the radio towers on the summit and the limited views. However, I've read a lot about the history of the mountain, so I was excited to get up there and see if I could find some remnants from the past. I was able to find some old foundations, railway ties, benchmark and more. There were also a couple good views...not the Whites, but it was fine for a small hike in the Manchester area.

Here's my full, detailed report: http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.co...ncanoonuc.html Please visit if you have a minute!

Here are some of my favorite pics:

I got this comparison idea (current/past) from 1HappyHiker on his blog...credit for a good idea is all his!

Not sure what mountains these are...any help out there?

Thanks,
    Karl
    Last edited by KSearl; 10-25-2011 at 10:15 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KSearl For This Useful Post:

1HappyHiker (10-26-2011)

Thanks

Karl,

What direction were you facing for the "help" photo? If west, then you are probably looking at Temple, South Pack and North Pack. I've never hiked up there, but I've ridden my bicycle up the road many times (sometimes in the same day!) as a training exercise.

Other peaks visible from North Peak, which I have hiked, include Kearsarge and Ragged (NNW), and Crotched (WNW).

I used to work in Manchester and I would occasionally head over to Rock Rimmon and eat lunch on top (amongst the broken beer bottles)... Not much of a climb, but a nice view of the city. Not enough of an effort to get sweaty.

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 10-26-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Thanks

Hi Tim,

I have a picture of the mountains in proximity to downtown Manchester. It seems they are north of the city by view. That would put them at Northeast I think. I think they're too high to be the Pawtuckaways or the Blue Hills Range. Maybe the Belknaps in the distance. The shape made me think it was Kearsarge, but I don't think I had a view that far North. The North Uncanoonuc would have blocked it I think. I have a picture that shows the mountain in proximity to Manchester, but don't have it loaded to the web, so I can display it here.

Karl

Thanks

I would buy the Belknap Range based on your description.

Tim

Thanks

Those comparison shots are a great idea! It's neat to see how the areas changed over time. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Thumbs up

Karl . . . you've done a magnificent job, not only with those comparison photos, but with your report overall!

Thank you for sharing your historical research with us!
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////
    John

My Blogs:

http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/
    http://2small2bbig.blogspot.com/

My Facebook Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH