Thread: January '12 hike suggestions

Thanks

Default January '12 hike suggestions

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for suggestions for a hike in January/February in the White Mountains.

We have hiked up to the summit of Mt Washington 4 times in the dead of winter on Ammonoosuc, Lion Head/Tuckermans and we were thinking of taking a longer hike this time around.

Two hikes in mind are the Great Golf Trail and the Presi Traverse.

Reading up on the Great Golf Trail it definitely seems doable barring avalanche warnings. Do you think we need ropes or anything else to get up above the head wall?

The Presi Traverse is intriguing and depending on the weather we might give that a shot. We do not have experience camping on the mountain in the middle of winter but i dont think it would be a problem as long as we can get below tree line to do it.

If we do end up venturing on the Presi Traverse well definitely familiarize ourselves with the escape routes in case the weather goes down hill.

Itll be a crew of 4 guys all in good shape (well by the time the hike comes up we'll all be back in good shape

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    J

Thanks

Not sure on that headwall and the presi traverse takes being in top notch shape ( or tons of GUgels or both). Also I should note that there are some fun loops - I personally enjoy - that you can create around Mt. Adams from Appalachia if you want to "head out and figure it out on the fly"

If you know how to tread the only place you really need ropes is some the off trail stuff - like Frank's cliff & Lincoln's throat & Kings little secret etc, - except maybe some of the more challenging gully's in Huntingtons. Though if you've got a group of four guys it can't hurt to take a couple of ropes as practice setting up some banger ice screw anchors is always good

good luck out there & stay safe

-t
    Last edited by smithtim; 10-30-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

Thanks for the info Smithtim!

J

Thanks

Default Presi Traverse

Not sure I'd try the Great Gulf without ice climbing equipment and ropes. It's possible you won't need them, but if you want to ensure success, I'd have them with. It's a long haul in, the trail will most likely not be broken out and will be difficult at best to follow. Once you start up the head wall, turning around will probably not be an option, and returning that way will probably not be an option, either. I guaranty there will be ice, and a fall will mean injury, or worse, with no help nearby, so rescue may take many hours.

IMO the safer bet would be the traverse. Many do it in a single day, though they are experienced, top-notch hikers. If anyone in your group doesn't fit that description either leave them behind or choose something else. There's a lot of good info about the traverse here:

http://www.chauvinguides.com/presitr...presiguide.htm

KDT

Thanks

None of us have experience with ice climbing so now I'm leaning towards the Presi. I'll check out the link you posted as well.

Thanks a lot for the info!
    J