Thread: Foggy Day in Pawtuckaway 12/31/11

Thanks

Default Foggy Day in Pawtuckaway 12/31/11

Middle Mountain 985' and South Mountain 1011'

1050' Elevation gain 5.5 Miles

Kevin, Judy, Emma and Blue

I've been making hiking trips to Pawtuckaway for almost thirty years now. I discovered it as a campground when I got out of the Air Force and made many memorable camping trips with three young boys who I watched grow up on the shores of Pawtuckaway Lake. We camped, fished and hiked. It was good post military rehab for me. Nearly thirty years later it is still good rehab. This past weekend was a good example. While just getting over a nasty bout with the flu I was able to spend New Year's Eve Day in the woods with some favorite trail companions. Despite all the visits over the years we always manage to find new territory to cover, or something new we haven't yet seen in the woods. This trip was no different. The woods were damp with a thick, heavy fog. Not feeling my best, unsure of the roads with freezing issues and the fact that the mountains were wrapped in the same heavy fog and poor visibility made the short trip to Pawtuckaway very inviting on this day. Pawtuckaway reminds me that not everything has to be an epic adventure. It feels like home...

Glacial erratics...

On the way to South Mountain

Damp dogs...

Short scramble...

Middle Mountain Road

Rocks and dogs

Rocks and Ice

Full set of pics HERE:
    KDT

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KD Talbot For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (01-07-2012), Charlie (01-08-2012), KathyC (01-08-2012), Snow Miser (01-05-2012)

Thanks

It's increible how those huge boulders are just scattered around, I bet they could tell a story of how they got there. What was in the tree with the picture titled, Geo Cachet?

Thanks

@ KathyC- Yes, the boulders there are amazing. The tiny Pawtuckaway mountains are the remains of an ancient volcano cone. These are known as Ring Dikes. If you look at the topo map you can pick it out easily. It has some amazing features including the boulders.

In the tree is a small plastic container with some tokens. I don't remember all that were in it, but there was a Monopoly card for Marvin Gardens. People make these caches and then give clues as to where to find them. When people find them they usually leave a token, like a toy dinosaur or a matchbook or some silly thing. We weren't looking for it, just happened to find it. Geocaching has caught fire in the last 10 years and we happen upon them quite often. Also it is sometimes called letterboxing and these people usually have an ink stamp to leave their mark in a book.

KDT

Thanks

Thank you for explaining. I just got back from a wake and met a friend of mine there who happened to mention Geo cachet, he had a bunch of pictures on his phone that he has found with his kids. One one the pictures was of two moose key chains from NH, he knew that I would like that one most.
    It seems like a scavenger hunt, but the whole world is involved. lol