Thread: Spectacular day on Flume & Liberty, 1/4

Thanks

Default Spectacular day on Flume & Liberty, 1/4

I usually hope for bluebird days, but today's hike to Flume & Liberty had some great views thanks to the clouds. No one else on the trail. We climbed Flume Slide the entire way up using Microspikes. Be advised that this trail is extremely difficult, and should you attempt it, I recommend full crampons. We were able to bushwhack around the huge ice flows. 50 mph winds on Washington but we had only a very light breeze. Check out my full report with pictures on my blog...

http://opw9010.blogspot.com/2012/01/...t-liberty.html

Here are a few teaser photos...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ow2010 For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (01-07-2012), Charlie (01-15-2012), smithtim (01-15-2012), Snow Miser (01-05-2012)

Thanks

Default dbcooperisalive approves

Owen, your pictures are so incredible. I really enjoy your blog.

Thanks

Owen,

Great job!!! I give you guys a ton of credit for picking the slide in these conditions. I've done it in the fall and that was tough enough for me. I'm sure it was a tough and exhausting trek up! Your pictures and report are great. The snowy peaks you isolated are great (Bonds, Carrigain, Osceolas, etc.). I especially love that last photo in this thread...it''s a great spot on Liberty!

Well done and congrats on #25 & #26!

Karl

Thanks

d.b. ... Thanks so much for the kind words! I really appreciate it. I think spending time in the Whites is helping me to become a better photographer as well as a better climber

Karl ... Thanks for commenting! The Flume Slide was a challenge, but in a good way. That final picture might be my favorite picture yet. There was a beautiful red glow in the southwest sky throughout our hike, which came out pretty well in that shot.

Thanks

Beautiful photos Owen! We've done Flume Slide Trail in the Summer and it scared the heck out of me then-never mind covered in ice and snow!Great achievement!!!

________
    Anna

Thanks

Thanks for sharing..

Thanks

great pics, THANKS 4 sharing I really like that 2nd one from the summit of liberty looking back over

And yeah I agree crampons for that hike... and why not take an ice tool also to have a little fun

BTW did you go up the gully or stay near the trail just skirting / bushwacking around bad spots?
    Last edited by smithtim; 01-15-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    'when it starts to hurt your nearly halfway and probably should get out those ropes & put your crampons on"

Thanks

very nice thanks
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smithtim View Post
    BTW did you go up the gully or stay near the trail just skirting / bushwacking around bad spots?
    We just skirted bad spots by going through the woods to the immediate left of the trail...it looks like maybe the trail once went that way or maybe a lot of people have had to do what we did. Ice axe would definitely be good too! But who knows what things are like since this last storm.

Sincere thank you to everyone else who has responded or taken the time to look at this post.