Thread: Tripyramids - 2012/01/16

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Tripyramids - 2012/01/16

The A plan was to hike the Kinsmans, but that fell through due to other's family obligations. My backup plan was to tag the Tripyramids as I hadn't been there in a while, and I needed one more trip to satisfy the TW72 list. It was a good choice to solo from the Waterville side, being that much of the loop is regularly skied. At exit 28, the thermometer I have so often consulted (to be sure of the wax) read -11. That's CH4 wax weather, a/k/a, squeaky and slow.

North Tripyramid Slide from Scaur Ridge, Carrigain and Washington from North Tripyramid

Another advantage of the Livermore/Scaur/Pine Bend Brook route was to see what the ski conditions were like first hand. Snowmobile groomed (the groomers came by me on my way up), lots of hidden rocks...not quite ready to ski when I could be hiking. Conditions were perfect for snowshoeing, however, and I wore mine car-to-car. With the cold came some clear skies and long views.

Carrigain (from N Tri), Tremont/Owl's Cliff/Bartlett-Haystack/Carter Dome (M Tri)

There was a decent snowshoe track to Scaur Ridge, and from there on it was a solid one. I went just fast enough to not freeze, while keeping my moisture output to a minimum (difficult to do, I broke a good sweat on the North Tri summit cone.) After a snack, and dropping down to the outlook, I headed over to Middle Tripyramid.

Chocorua/Passaconaway, Osceolas/Franconia Ridge/Garfield

I had lunch on Middle Tripyramid, spending most of my time at the west outlook, and enjoying the views of Sandwich Dome, Moosilauke, Tecumseh, Osceola, Franconia Ridge and Garfield. On the way back, I met two pairs of people - including a couple who I encouraged to visit the North Tripyramid viewpoint (first few pictures above), of which they were unaware. The temp on my keychain thermometer read +11 (net 22 degree increase.)

Osceola, Tecumseh

Back down on Scaur Ridge, I ran into Jeb Bradley and his group. Last time I did the Tris was winter, and was with Jeb. I bombed back down the way I came up, completing the loop in 6:30. On the way home, the thermometer read +22 for a net +33 degree increase in temperature.

All photos

Tim

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bikehikeskifish For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (01-17-2012)

Thanks

Very nice TR and photos Tim! Looks like it was a nice day to be out hiking. Thanks for bringing us along.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Thank you Tim! Nice to see snow in the Whites.

Thanks

Where is this North Tri outlook you speak of, the top of the slide? Great pics, awesome day out!

KDT

Thanks

Just after you merge with the Mount Tripyramid Loop Trail (comes up from the slide on the right), you drop out on to the summit. Hard right gives you a bit of a look towards Middle Tri, straight ahead continues to Middle Tri, hard left over a boulder and down a herd path 25 feet or so comes out to this outlook.

Tim