Thread: Mount Pemigewasset 2/10/12

Thanks

Default Mount Pemigewasset 2/10/12

We made excellent time getting to New Hampshire and Franconia Notch Motel that we decided to do a warm up hike to the summit of Indian Head; a mountain just north of our base for the next couple of days. The trailhead was plowed shut except for a narrow lane groomed for snowmobiles. The parking lot itself was not plowed and we did not have any issues with getting a parking space with our all wheel drive.
    On the trail by 3:15 pm we bare booted the well travelled path along a gentle incline with no traction problems.

It was good to finally see snow, since our winter down south in Maryland has been without the white stuff; except for a few inches in January. With it being such a short hike we only had our fanny packs with only a few necessities such as our microspikes, some snacks and extra layers of clothing. We made good time up to the junction with the Indian Head trail coming up from the Flume parking area and soon reached the open summit ledge of Mount Pemigewasset. The last pitch to the top was quite steep and the ledge icy; so much so that Donna donned her microspikes so that she wouldn?t slip off the edge. The wind chilled our bodies but the fact that we were in New Hampshire and hiking in snow kept us warm while we enjoyed the amazing views down to Lincoln and the mountains of Franconia Ridge.

We hated to leave such a wonderful place but the sun was setting and we had never left the woods using headlamps. We made good time going down using the microspikes but we did have to come out in headlamps; which was actually pretty cool. I always carry three head lamps and extra batteries just in case.

It really felt good to get out and about in the fresh mountain air of the Granite State.

Here's the link to our slideshow
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/21548449_wnPn4M

Mike and Donna
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Legs and Little d For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (02-21-2012), KathyC (02-26-2012)

Thanks

This hike looks like it was a good start to the rest of your weekend. Thanks for bringing us along!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Even more great pictures. I have hiked at night with the headlamp in the summer but it must be cool to do in the snow. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Great hike to start your vacation...love the shot of Lafayette!

Thanks

Thanks Bob, Chris and Owen.
    You know how we cherish our time in the White Mountains as you do too. And we were eager to get started the first day we arrived and thought this would be a fine little hike.

Donna
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."

Thanks

It's one of the best feelings that I know, is when you get to your destination there and step out of the car. The first smell of that great air and views, it's amazing. I know that it makes me happy.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Thanks for letting me see what it looks like in the Winter,done it plenty of times in the Summer but nice to see all that white stuff!

Thanks

Thanks!

Kathy: I agree with you 100% as to how you feel when you arrive in the White Mountains. It's like "going home".

Anna: Winter is one of the best season to hike in the White Mountains. Maybe one day you'll get a chance.

Donna

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Legs and Little d For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (02-29-2012)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Jimmy Legs and Little d;50148]Thanks!

Kathy: I agree with you 100% as to how you feel when you arrive in the White Mountains. It's like "going home".

Anna: Winter is one of the best season to hike in the White Mountains. Maybe one day you'll get a chance.

We should be up hiking with Snow Miser to Greeley Ponds from the Kanc trailhead in a couple of weeks! Time to dig out the snowshoes!

Thanks

Anna,
    I saw that Bob is going to meet up with you on his FB page. Hope, all the snow coming in the next few days will be there for you to enjoy. That's a nice hike up to Greeley Pond. Have lots of fun!

Donna

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Legs and Little d For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (03-02-2012), Snow Miser (03-02-2012)