Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boulder Loop Trail 5/25/12

Thanks

Default Boulder Loop Trail 5/25/12

Last Friday me and my BF Walter did a hike, Boulder Loop Trail by the Albany Covered Bridge off of the Kanc. I did this trail 18 years ago with my brother in law, we pretty much raced to the top, took a quick picture and then raced back down. It was the last time I had hiked because there was no enjoyment in it what so ever and a few other reasons.

When we left Attitach in the morning it started to rain and as we drove up Passaconaway Rd. it was pretty steady. But Walter is my cheer leader, he said we'll get there and see how it goes, he knew how much I wanted to do this. We got there and it was just misting so we started. There really wasn't much flat ground, it was basically all up, it was wet and slippery sometimes, but we watched our step. He asked a few times if I wanted to go back, but I was OK. He was showing me how to follow the trail and blazes and when I was in front of him, not to just stop because that was dangerous especially when we're on wet rocks.

It was so cool because you could hear the rain falling on the leaves above you, but your not getting rained on. We ran into a couple from Mass. a few times, we chatted a bit and they shared their bug spray. The bugs were terrible, we have quite a few bites...

We finally made the ledges and I was so happy and so proud of myself. It was cloudy on top where you couldn't see much of anything, but I saw a lot. It was only a 3 mile loop and not a 4000 footer like so many here do, but to me it was huge and I felt like I was on top of the world. We took our time looking around, took some pictures, we sat and caught our breath. The trip down went quickly and at the end I was a bit sore, sweaty and dirty but felt like a million bucks. I'm looking forward to the next one......

I love our hikers!

We saw a bunch of Chipmunks along the way, this little guys let me take his picture.

Yay for me!!

My Cheerleader...

Just enjoying..
    Last edited by KathyC; 05-28-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks

Congratulations on your return to hiking Kathy! As you know now, hiking isn't a race to the top, nor does it have to be climbing 4,000 footers. It's whatever you want it to be. Short trail, long trail, no mountain, low mountain, or high mountain. The beauty of it is just being out there in nature with good people.

Very nice TR and photos! Looking forward to seeing photos from next hike. Thanks for sharing.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow Miser For This Useful Post:

Charlie (05-28-2012), KathyC (05-29-2012), Trailsend (05-30-2012)

Thanks

YAY for you Kathy.....It's great you have a cheerleader too, that can be very helpful

"Hike your own hike"
    Club Member, Mt Washington Observatory
    ~ Everything happens in it's own time ~

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAXTERCA2 For This Useful Post:

KathyC (05-29-2012), Snow Miser (05-28-2012)

Thanks

All right Kathy looks nice up there ,now that im moving up there i will have to give it a try
    So when will we see you at Seek the Peak lol
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Way to go, Kathy! As Bob said, 4K footers aren't the only worthy mountains out there. Congratulations on a great hike.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ow2010 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Bob, Karen Charlie and OW210. I need to get into a little better shape, if anything my shins hurt the most the next day, go figure...

Charlie: I already put in to volunteer this summer for STP. Just keeping my fingers crossed that everything is OK here in Jersey when that time comes around.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KathyC For This Useful Post:

BAXTERCA2 (05-29-2012), Charlie (05-29-2012), Snow Miser (05-30-2012)

Thanks

Kathy, I did this hike myself, although it was in the winter. Nice little loop! If you want a couple of other nice 'trainers' to do, Mt Willard is nice and not that long and the view into Crawford notch is excellent! Arethusa Falls is also a worthy shorter hike, and the fall is great!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Addicted For This Useful Post:

KathyC (05-30-2012)

Thanks

Kathy,
    Nice hike! We did the loop several years ago too. Bob summed it up exactly as what I would have said about hiking. New Hampshire has so much to offer and that's one of the reasons we fell in "love" with the White Mountains 20 years ago.
    And I'll put in a plug for Maine too.
    Donna
    "If you can't find time to fix it right, when will you find time to fix it again."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Legs and Little d For This Useful Post:

KathyC (05-30-2012)

Thanks

Thank you Addicted, last night I was searching for other smaller hikes on line and looking through my AMC hiking books. Mt. Willard did come up as one of them.

Jimm Legs and Little D, I've also been going there for 20 years and can never get enough no matter what I do. I just find the area so beautiful and relaxing, I feel at peace when I'm there and always hate to leave.

Thanks

I'll second Mt. Willard. We were just there last weekend and boy is it grand! The hike isn't too difficult either.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ow2010 For This Useful Post:

KathyC (05-30-2012)