Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South and Middle Carter Bushwack??

Thanks

Default South and Middle Carter Bushwack??

Advise please! We are looking to do the Carters next weekend. We are looking at doing an out and back, starting on the 19 mile brook tr. We could do the loop coming out on the Imp Tr, but not looking to spot a car, hitch, or have a long road walk. HOWEVER, the more I poke around, the more I hear that we could cut across on the way down on the Imp Tr, cross over Cowboy brook, and bushwack back to a more reasonable distance near the 19 mile brook trailhead.

Since I have never bushwacked before, and am very comfortable staying on a marked trail, is this a reasonable bushwack? I figure worse case scenario we would have to come back out on one of the two trails or route 16 eventually if we mess up. Which isn't preferable!

We've been hiking for years, and are working on finishing the 4K's. We've been in all conditions, all seasons, and all elevations and distances so far. I'm almost thinking it's time to try a bushwack, just to see if they are something we can consider in the future on some of the 'long hauls'.

I've checked many trip reports and maps of the bushwack, so know approximately where we would need to do this. I haven't hiked these trails before though, so I don't really know this are. Is there an easy place to do this, or just head into the woods once we think it's right?

New to the wack, please share your knowledge and stories, or possibly a TR or two. The 4000 footer book only lists it as a loop from IMP, and I hate trying to figure things in reverse.

Just looking for a share. Thanks!

Thanks

If you follow the Imp Trail (down from Middle Carter/North Carter Col), you will eventually come to a blatantly obvious forest/logging road crossing. Turn left, and you will come out at the back of Joe Dodge Lodge. Follow the main road to route 16 and walk up the hill a short way to 19 MBT. The Imp Trail continues to the right. The intersection is at approximately 1550', where the Imp Trail suddenly turns due north.

Red is the official Imp Trail and blue is my GPS track for the day. To call this route a bushwhack would be a very big stretch.

Here is my TR from 2012-01-30

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 06-02-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks

THANK YOU! Sounds totally do-able. I'm not compass savvy, but am going to practice some this week : ) Thanks for the map, this is what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if I wanna try it at the end, or the beginning...

Thanks

If you want to do the "Cowboy Brook Bushwhack", it starts at the elbow where the trail is closest to the brook. Head SSW across the flat area between the ridge you came down and that small bump to the west, until you rejoin 19MBT. I have never done it, and given the ease of finding and following the road to Joe Dodge, would never feel compelled to try.

I cannot imagine you will need your compass for this. Just remember to turn left on the road (coming down the Imp)

Tim

Thanks

Thank you for both of the maps. I was looking at a satellite image map (like the one above) and could easily see the 'old road'. It looked like it ended in a clearing, but now that I look at the one above, the clearing seems to be just past the junction with the Imp. So at least we'll know if we've gone too far, although I can't imagine missing a whole trail that we have to physically cross! I feel much better about giving this a whirl. I had originally thought about doing the other bushwack, but this sounds much more reasonable I think we're going to do a clockwise loop and get the whack out of the way first thing. Thanks again for the input!

Thanks

I just did the Carters yesterday using this same route. I had planned the hike anyways and your talking made me want to try this to shave some distance off. The road is very easy to spot. You cross a small brook and can see the clearing to your right. The road sticks out well since it is covered in ferns and grass which the rest of the forest floor doesn't have much of. There is a path heading right down it too. There is a small tree/branch that has fallen part way into the trail too just in case you get distracted and need something else to look for. Coming down the mountains this way was a bit wet and slick in places, but the 4 rain showers during the day probably added a lot to that. Enjoy the hike.

Thanks

Nice! A fresh perspective! Did you do the clockwise loop starting at Camp Dodge and coming back down 19 MBT? We were questioning how many water crossings there are and if they were difficult, seeing as it's been raining all week. The last couple hikes we did gave us a good share of crossings, and they were in low water. Any advise would be great. I'm not doubting our abilities at all, sometimes it's just nice to know what you're getting into, especially when the hike out sometimes seems to take forever!

Thanks

I did the loop counterclockwise. One water crossing on 19MBT has half the bridge washed away, but some boards are running over rocks so you can still cross without getting your feet wet. all other crossings have some sort of bridge you can easily go across. coming down the only crossing I recall was just before the logging road that comes out to Camp Dodge. That was easy to step across the few rocks without getting wet as well. All the crossings were fine. There was some water running down the trails in places which I am sure is partly due to the amount of rain recently and the fact that it was off and on rain while I was out as well. Going up 19 MBT was great, it's a nice trail and I liked it a lot, There are various wildflowers out along much of it.

Thanks

That's great! Thanks for the insight. Sounds like 19 MBT will be a nice decent at the end of the day. And the flowers are always a nice touch ; ) Thanks again for the info. I can read all the trail descriptions out there, but I find that a first hand account from someone that's done the same hike lately is always nice and reassuring. We have all the 'long' or 'multiple' hikes left on the list, so there's no real easy going left!

Thanks

I'm willing to bet that you get to the road/trail junction, slap your forehead, and say "D'Oh! What was I worried about?!?!"

Tim