Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The Wildcats and Carters Provide the Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 243 Times in 126 Posts

    Default The Wildcats and Carters Provide the Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything

    We had an incredible two day hike over the Wildcats and Carters with a stay at Carter Notch Hut on Monday and Tuesday. It was a great trip and we 'notched' 5 more peaks to bring us close to the end of our 48. To find out the significance of the title (and check out the amazing views) you're going to have to read the blog post...


    http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com...answer-to.html


    Just a sneak peak..


    Mt Washington over Lost Pond



    Carter Dome over the Ramparts from Carter Notch



    Upper Carter Lake
    Mark

    Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir


    Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to mtruman For This Useful Post:

    billysinc (06-15-2012)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW NH
    Posts
    264
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 118 Times in 71 Posts

    Default

    Nice pictures. Looks like a great hike. It was a fun read having just been there a couple days earlier. Having gone up (and back down) Wildcat that same way, I can attest to what the guidebook says about the trail being stepper than it looks on the map. I am sure the meals at the hut were good. When I stopped by to check it out, I could smell the hut before seeing it and it smelled great. How would you compare the steepness/difficulty of the two trails coming down into the notch from Wildcat and going up out of the notch to Carter Dome?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Deering NH
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    THanks for this post.. I've been putting of The Wildcats since I've heard such great things about it...A steep, rocky, long slog. We are considering adding Carter Dome, since we apparently like to torture ourselves just a bit and didn't want to add it to the Carters when we did them. It was nice to see the pics, you can never fully tell what a trail is really like by reading the words. Can't wait to conquer these as well!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    2,051
    Thanks
    734
    Thanked 325 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Great photos Mark! Congratulations on bagging five more peaks. Thanks for bringing us along on what looks like a wonderful two days.
    Bob

    I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

    My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 243 Times in 126 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdways01 View Post
    Nice pictures. Looks like a great hike. It was a fun read having just been there a couple days earlier. Having gone up (and back down) Wildcat that same way, I can attest to what the guidebook says about the trail being stepper than it looks on the map. I am sure the meals at the hut were good. When I stopped by to check it out, I could smell the hut before seeing it and it smelled great. How would you compare the steepness/difficulty of the two trails coming down into the notch from Wildcat and going up out of the notch to Carter Dome?
    Thanks Adam. It was definitely great! Boy is it hard to go by a hut near dinner time and not be staying. The trail up to Carter Dome is definitely a lot steeper than the one coming down from Wildcat (and longer). 1500' in 1.2 miles going up Carter Dome. The switchbacks on the Wildcat trail also help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
    THanks for this post.. I've been putting of The Wildcats since I've heard such great things about it...A steep, rocky, long slog. We are considering adding Carter Dome, since we apparently like to torture ourselves just a bit and didn't want to add it to the Carters when we did them. It was nice to see the pics, you can never fully tell what a trail is really like by reading the words. Can't wait to conquer these as well!
    I wouldn't call the Wildcats a slog. It felt longer than the actual distance, but it was a great hike. The hike up to Wildcat E from Pinkham is really spectacular. Great being on the side of the cliffs and having the views across the notch to Washington. You'll really like it - I promise (particularly if you get a weather day like we had).

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Miser View Post
    Great photos Mark! Congratulations on bagging five more peaks. Thanks for bringing us along on what looks like a wonderful two days.
    Thanks Bob. Glad you came along for the ride
    Mark

    Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir


    Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    450
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    Great pics and trip report! The Wildcats have a me a bit nervous in my quest for the48s.

    You remembered to pack your towel, right?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 243 Times in 126 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Mel. You shouldn't be nervous about the Wildcats. The Wildcat Ridge Trail feels longer than it is, but it's also really beautiful and not nearly as long as many of the others. If you do it with a stay at the hut like we did it's really a perfect two days.

    And of course we packed our towels. And the towels that we packed were in fact pack towels. We found them to be massively useful.
    Mark

    Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir


    Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,145
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 121 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    nice pictures Mark
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

    If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •