Thread: Mt Washington Hike 6/9

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Mt Washington Hike 6/9

The four of us hiked up on June 9th. Was a rather windy day....we guessed 50 mps winds? I think that is what the models said.

We went up the Ammo, love that trail. Good thing about the winds....no bugs! Took a break at Lakes of the Clouds, where we decided not to get Monroe...this time. One of the volunteers at the Hut, Josh, was very friendly and happy to see hikers.

Summit was lovely as always, we played in the corner where the high winds are . Sadly, no sign of Marty this time. Understandable, as there was a good number of people.

We down on the Jewell trail....so....did the rearrange the trail after Irene? We got a bit lost at the end....ended up at the Ammo Trail head. Opps. I think walking on the road was the hardest part (though I did twist my knee and ankle on this hike.)

Now, some pix:

Ammo.jpgPabuatlakes.jpg

Ammo going up and my snow leopard chillin' at Lakes.

Awesome time up. On our last day, we saw Luna moths! I had never seen them before. I think I posted a pic to my Facebook account...none of the ones I took with my camera came out well.

Already looking forward to my Fall trip....hoping to get 3 more 4000ers.

Thanks

June 9th, our hourly average winds were 50-70 mph from midnight until 6 am then were 40-55 mph until 4 pm when they decreased to 30-40 mph. But, down lower, they were likely a bit less than these values. But the guess at 50 mph was pretty good, most people overestimate the winds.

As far as the Jewell Trail, there was no rearranging that we we're made aware of. What it sounds like is, towards the bottom, you either missed the sign, or it fell down as you continued down the Jewell Link. The Jewell Trail cuts left shortly after you cross Clay Brook. The Jewell Trail and Ammonoosuc Trail start at the Cog base while the Jewell Link and Ammonoosuc Link trails start/end at a lot about a mile or two west of (or "down" the road from) the Cog base station. But don't feel bad, you're not the first to get turned around down there. And now, when you return, you know what not to do. I like to call those moments in hiking "learning experiences".
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

There was part of the trail that looked previously closed. It was odd because we had hiked that trail a few times before. We did turn left, but that brought us to new exit. No worries, it was great fun!

3 out of the 4 of us who hiked were meteorology students together. My classmates guessed the winds, I'm a horrible judge. I can't remember what model we looked at afterward, but it wasn't from the summit. Next time, I'll bring an anemometer And I'll take winds over bugs anyday.

Thanks for the info about the winds that day!
    Last edited by MelNino; 06-21-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks

I dug into it a bit more looking at the WMNF - 9 months after Irene page update, and it does appear that the Jewell Spur Trail (http://sectionhiker-com.wpengine.net...l-Spur-001.jpg) is closed (as are a few others still). The reasoning is the lost of the bridge during the flooding last year. The "bridge" can be seen here: http://sectionhiker.com/trail-adopte.../p1090262-001/ and the complete list can be seen here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitem...telprdb5371104. So, no you were not lost, the trail just wasn't open.
    Ryan Knapp
    Staff Meteorologist/Night Observer, KMWN (Mt Washington Obs., NH)

Thanks

Thanks

The new Jewell Spur goes out the back of the Cog (past the old / display engines), over the bridge, over the tracks and follows some blue-tipped grade stakes to meet back up with the Jewell Spur to the Jewell. TR is here.

Tim