Thread: Lylah's First Summit - Black Cap Mountain 05-25-12

Thanks

Default Lylah's First Summit - Black Cap Mountain 05-25-12

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted due to, well, not hiking much lately. We finally got up to the mountains at the end of May (I know, I know, it's now the end of June) and wanted to post a trip report, even if it may be a little late. It was my daughter's first summit, although she road the whole way up in a pack on my back! Below are a few of my favorite pictures and here's a link to my blog for a full detailed report and pics if you're interested: http://livefreeandhikenh.blogspot.co...-mountain.html

My daughter on my back. This pack is not comfortable at all and I have a tough time with it. I'll have to come up with something else for the next hike...can't wait until she can hike on her own two feet! Notice Elmo, she decided she didn't like him riding with her so she ditched him soon after starting up the trail.

Butterflies were everywhere, as I believe they are all over the mountains this time of year

Here's a painted trillium which has just about passed. I was really bummed I missed the wildflower season this year.

What I believe is a common blue violet...although it may be a different variety.

Does anyone know what these steps went to? Possibly and old fire tower???

Our summit "foot" shot...notice the tiny foot!

Moat Range

Chocorua

Elmo, propped up on the trail. A nice family sat him on a rock so that we could find him on our way back.

Karl

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KSearl For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (07-02-2012), KathyC (06-29-2012)

Thanks

Great set of pics Karl. I feel sorry for poor Elmo get thrown out and having to sit all alone on a rock. Love the boot and foot shot. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Wonderful report and photos Karl. Congratulations to Lylah for stepping foot on her first summit! That is a great photo of your feet. And by showing your daughter how fun hiking can be, you might just be instilling the hiking bug in her. Hopefully you can get back to the mountains earlier next spring to see all the flowers blooming. Thanks for bringing us along!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

Thanks

That was fun to read, I also like the picture of all your feet on the summit.
    Thanks for sharing..

Thanks

Thanks for taking us along on Lylah's first summit trip Karl! More people need to get their children out into the mountains away from the video games and computers!

Thanks

Karl, thanks for the report! I feel your pain... I recently took my daughter, who will be 1 year in about 10 days, up to Arethusa Falls. I have never felt more out of shape! AND I have been hiking my butt off this summer! 20 lbs of live weight on your back makes a huge difference! It took us about 3/4 or the trip to actually get the pack adjusted to the point where the stress was taken off my shoulders and then it was great : ) I hated not really being able to enjoy the hike as much as I would like, but it was nice that there were perfectly placed big rocks for me to sit on along the way where the pack could rest perfectly while I took a break. It's a lot of work, which breaks my heart cause I'd like to do so much more with her. Looks like she'll be hiking on her own as soon as she can though, so I don't have to carry her! Was still great to get her out there and watch her do some people watching at the falls while she sat and had lunch and played with rocks and sticks : ) I also have the Kelty pack, was hoping it would be an easier ride for all. Enjoy getting her out there though. It will get easier (at least I hope so!!)