Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is this?

Thanks

Aconcagua?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Hobbes is close in geographic location. Bill is right in thinking of a country high point (that's also a hemisphere high point)...but it's not Argentina! I've given it away now.

Thanks

So that leaves Sajama. Is it considered part of the desert though?

Here's a new one: (click to zoom)

mountain.jpg

Thanks

Bingo! Nevado Sajama, country high point of Bolivia, 21,463’, highest point in the Cordillera Occidental. Hobbes, you’re right in saying it’s not IN the Atacama, it’s on the border between the Atacama and the “Central Andean dry puna.” It is known for the soccer match that was played on its summit in protest against a decision by FIFA that La Paz was too high in elevation (11,000-12,000’) for international matches to be held there.

I'm already looking at your picture. The architecture in the foreground helps.

Thanks

Hobbes, I think I've got it, but I'm not going to post what I'm thinking until other people have had a shot at it. Does it have a "little" peak and a "big" peak?

I'm probably going to have to stop playing this game. It's distracting me way too much!

Thanks

Looks like Europe, but not enough other features for me to narrow it down.

I have to agree with FIFA. La Paz is too high to play international soccer matches.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

As krummholz appears to have already guessed, I'll give Bill a hint: This peak isn't quite as well known as its bigger pyramidal neighbor.

Thanks

Now I'm not so sure I have the right answer, as I don't know of a "bigger pyramidal neighbor." But I'll go ahead and say what my guess is: Grossglockner, the country high point of Austria, 12,460'. The main peak is the "gross" (big) peak of the Glockner range and the other is the "klein" (small) peak, called Kleinglockner. I arrived at this fairly quickly because Hobbes' photo shows (not very clearly) a roofed-over wooden crucifix on the street, which you see in the Roman Catholic areas of Bavaria and Austria. At first I thought maybe Zugspitz, the high point of Germany, but it's not the right shape. Then I found this photo of Grossglockner. Compare it to the other photo and you'll see the similarity.

Thanks

Nope, not Austria. Keep guessing...

Thanks

Jungfrau? But the mountain in your photo seems smaller. It's hard to come up with a neighbor to a major peak like the Eiger or the Matterhorn that's not huge and surrounded by glaciers.