Thread: Best Hiking Snacks- Recommendations?

Thanks

Default Best Hiking Snacks- Recommendations?

I know this has probably been covered before, but I"m looking for suggestions of what foods would be best to bring along on a one day transverse of the Bonds? I tend to load up too much on manufactured 'energy' foods (power bars, gatorade..), and often pay the price with a busy belly on the way out. I'd like to try to get a good combo of the natural energy foods, and short of bringing a couple of pb&j's, would welcome ideas! We're going to need to reserve pack space for plenty of water, as it'll be August and a long day and don't want to run out!

Thanks

One of my staples lately have been a 6 oz. packet of tunafish. And I always have my own trail mix. I figure the protein of the tunafish is good and is something I normally do on the summit. Also the tunafish has some moisture in it which helps after a long section of hiking and your mouth is dry.

I mix my own trail mix so that I get what I want. I like the trail mix because I can eat any amount I want. I find that when I am hiking uphill, if I eat much more than two or three handfuls at a time, it upsets my stomach and I don't feel good. My trail mix is cashews, chocolate chips, banana chips, peanut m&ms, and reeces pieces candies (m&m size). Plus anything else I want to add in.

I will also bring some random other snacks depending on hike length, time of year, and what catches my eye when preparing.