As so many of you know, trail work is my passion. Each year I write an essay/story about trail work, sometimes for essay contests, but more often just as an appeal to let people know the task before us as trail workers. I guess a nice thrill is that in some cases they have been printed or posted on local papers or newsletters back home where I grew up. This year I submitted the essay also to Philip Werner as a guest essay for the site "Sectionhiker.com" and am greatly honored that he would post it on his site as of today.

While it weaves a story along with an appeal, I also think many will find it interesting due to the fact that I was allowed by the AMC to incorporate data from the annual North Country Trail Volunteer Program Annual Report.

So if you are already a volunteer trail worker, you will hopefully be familiar with many of the sentiments involved, and if you are thinking of being a trail volunteer, perhaps it will add a bit of steam to your train.

The whole story can be found here (Philip was nice enough to incorporate some pictures too):

http://sectionhiker.com/following-an...sher-cat-lang/