Thread: Ammo up/ Jewell down

Thanks

Default Ammo up/ Jewell down

After months of delays and your help come September 1st I will be making my way to the summit! On the mwobs site can i find the trail heads? I want to do Ammo up and Jewell down so I need to find out where do I park?? Can I park by the trail head? and how far away is Jewell going to be from where we started when we exit the woods. And also Camping, can we camp near our car for a night? The advice I got from this forum is so useful so thank you to those who have responded.

Thanks

The Ammo/Jewell start/finish at the same place. You have a few choices - one is to park at the Cog hiker's lot ($5 I think). The other is to park at the Ammo hiker's lot (USFS, $3 or sticker), which is a bit further of a trip. Both are near/at the end of Base Station Road, next to Fabians on 302.

With the Jewell Cutoff damaged (bridge out) from Irene, the Jewell now comes down and crosses the tracks and the river on a bridge above the Cog building.

The trail reroute follows the blue-topped grade stakes (top, left) down, over the tracks, and the bridge in the foreground to return you to Base Station.

Tim

Thanks

As for camping, I don't believe there is anyplace to camp near your car off the base road. Sugraloaf campground I and II are almost right across the street. These are nice sites and only $18/night.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...ex=CampingSpot

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...ex=CampingSpot
    Mark

Keep close to Nature's heart...
    and break clear away, once in awhile,
    and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
    Wash your spirit clean. - John Muir

Hiking photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtruman42
    Hiking Blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/
    Seek the 2011 Peak page: Mark Truman's Pledge Page

Thanks

Hey thanks a bunch! It seams like it's going to be pretty stress free to reserve our spot and reach the summit and relax. On that trail map, what is with the two parts of each trail that seem to continue out to nowhere? Are they lookouts?

Thanks

By trail map, you mean the Google Earth view of my recorded GPS track? If so, then the top right is out-and-back to Monroe and the top-left is out-and-back over Clay to Jefferson. Did you mean something else?

The other possible interpretation is on an actual trail map, where the Ammo and Jewel continue from the Cog/Hiker's lot down to the USFS Ammo parking lot.

Tim

Thanks

yeah the gps track, did you add those out and backs to your loop to the summit and back?

Thanks

On the trip above, I went from the Cog, up the Ammo, Lake of the Clouds Hut, Mount Monroe, Mount Washington, Mount Clay, Mount Jefferson, Gulfside, Jewell, and back to the Cog. Anti-Clockwise.

Tim

Thanks

What color are the trail blazes for Ammo and Jewell?