Thread: Flume and Liberty, Flags on the 48, 9/8/12

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Flume and Liberty, Flags on the 48, 9/8/12

I'll spare you a long trip report on this one, and just say that if anyone is looking for a nice foliage hike this fall, Osseo Trail up to Flume would be a great one to take on. The Osseo trail is great, if you've overlooked it in the past. Nice easy grades through the harwoods, beech and birch, and some cool ladders towards the top with a little rock scrambling to top it off. Overall it was a great hike! We continued on to Liberty and down Liberty Springs, but if you wanted to just do an out and back to Flume without going up the slide, this would be a great way to do it. I would not at all have minded heading back out that way, but with Liberty added it was too long to back track. There were hardly as many rocks on Osseo as there are on Liberty Springs as well. And you only have to trudge down 1.4 miles of Lincoln Woods (which is very nice at the beginning of a hike during the day and not in the dark!) which I suspect would also be very pleasant on a foliage hike in early October. We had a great day and discovered a new great trail. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something different (as we were after a long miserable Hight, Carter Dome, Wildcat trip topped off with a Bonds Transverse). Very Nice.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addicted For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (09-14-2012), Snow Miser (09-10-2012)

Thanks

Yep, Osseo is one of our faves as well. Just so happens our very own Fishercat from this forum is the Trail Adopter for that one. Pretty cool thing to do for anyone, but especially someone who lives in Pennsylvania! Here's to Fishercat, Klutzy Kat and Forester Jake who keep that trail so well!

KDT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KD Talbot View Post
    Yep, Osseo is one of our faves as well. Just so happens our very own Fishercat from this forum is the Trail Adopter for that one. Pretty cool thing to do for anyone, but especially someone who lives in Pennsylvania! Here's to Fishercat, Klutzy Kat and Forester Jake who keep that trail so well!

KDT
    Thanks Kevin! As a matter of fact we are all preppin for our last trail work trip of the season to Osseo real soon. Can't wait to get the axe swingin again. I hear there are about 3-4 blowdowns to get out of the way.
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

Thanks

I don't remember any blowdowns, but that could be that hiker selective memory thing working for me! If there are any, they weren't bad, but thank you for taking such good care of the trail. I remember a couple times saying "Thank you to whoever put this here", or "Looks like somebody did some work here". A great trail, I think it would be fabulous in the foliage season

Thanks

Yes indeed, the lower sections have some great color. About the time you start the switchbacks it goes to mostly boreal with little color, but then when you get to the "downlook" you get such a nice view with color from there. Can't wait to get out!
    "LIVE FREE OR DIE...DEATH IS NOT THE WORST OF ALL EVILS." Gen. John Stark. "by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in..." From the letter of my Great Uncle, Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry), to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.