Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously, is this forum dead?

Thanks

Default Seriously, is this forum dead?

I almost feel like it should be shutdown. There is so little activity. Who are the current moderators? I received this pm today:

I have been waiting since November 21 to be able to post and I still cannot
    GREETINGS!!!!
    Back on November 21, 2012, I registered my account (this one) with MWOBS forums, and I received the confirmation email. But I still could not post or create new threads; I assumed that I was waiting for a moderator to approve my account.

I have sent THREE EMAILS to the MWOBS forum admins using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, the last of which was about a week and a half ago. I have not received any responses from anyone with regard to why I still cannot post.

WHAT IS GOING ON???????? Why is the registration process taking so long??
    I am frustrated that I have been waiting 3 weeks to post and I still cannot do so.
    Which one of you am I supposed to contact to get my account activation completely finished??
    (NOTE: Due to the rules set up by the forums, I am restricted to sending my message to only one person at a time. Therefore, I am sending this exact same message to all five of the following members, one at a time:
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I wouldn't consider it dead but I have to admit it's been pretty slow the last 6+ months. I still check in everyday, I just don't have much to say. lol

I would hate to see it go away.

Thanks

I agree it has been slow lately and also that I still check in almost everyday anyways. It seems other hiking forums are having the same issue though at the moment.

I think part of this issue here is that this forum is a more specific forum than just general hiking. I like that we don't have many threads relating to all sorts of random subjects. To me this forum is a place where trip reports are done with some regularity and also don't get lost in the shear number of posts. Hiking trail info is the main reason I come here. I like being able to look at what someone else has done to get info or just enjoy the pictures. Right now the trip reports are probably lower due to less people hiking in winter in general or the transition of trails from summer to winter/snow (ice). I won't say there aren't other hiking subjects to talk about, but I also don't pay as much attention to many of those at this point in time.

I also still think this is a great place to get info about Mt. Washington specifically or about weather. It's great that I can ask a question here and chance are the Obs staff will read it quickly and directly respond. A valuable and enjoyable resource in my opinion.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdways01 For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (12-20-2012), Trailsend (12-20-2012)

Thanks

I agree with Billysinc and sdways01. This forum has been slow lately, but I as well find it to be a good resource for hiking and observatory information. I'm usually on here daily to see any new trail reports, etc. Hope it can survive, and maybe gain some more steam with the users!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

We need some more moderators. I used to have admin privileges, but I can't seem to approve new users. I don't really have time anyway.

It's easy to forget that the explosive growth of STP was a direct result of Brad's work and this forum.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I would volunteer to be a moderator. And you are right Bill O, Brad was the biggest influence in my, and I'm sure many others', getting involved with the Obs and STP. Boy, we really miss that guy!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow Miser For This Useful Post:

Anna LeBlanc (12-20-2012), CHRIS (12-21-2012), Trailsend (12-20-2012)

Thanks

Yes we sure do Bob!!!! Now we all seem to stay in touch more on Facebook than anywhere else.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna LeBlanc For This Useful Post:

Snow Miser (12-21-2012)

Thanks

I'm still here!!

Sadly haven't been hiking much, so no trip reports...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MelNino For This Useful Post:

Snow Miser (12-21-2012)

Thanks

I also pop in at least once a day, to check the temp. on MW,look at the web cams and photo journal. I submitted a photo to it and really hoping that it is accepted. And I always check the boards just in case.

I don't want to see these boards go away, this is where many of us met and became friends (Thank You Brad) and opened up a whole new world to me.

Thanks

Visitting and checking in is nice, but without people posting there is no forum.

I'm a little confused how facebook replaces a forum and I am very familiar with both.

Without active users I'm not sure what the point of a forum is. I posted a question a few weeks ago and only had one person reply.
    Bill
    EasternLight

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill O For This Useful Post:

Trailsend (12-23-2012)