Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparing Jewell to Boott Spur

Thanks

Default Comparing Jewell to Boott Spur

Hi - I'm new to this forum and joined in hopes of getting an answer to a very sepcific question (and possibly other advice). I tried on Facebook, and received many, many wonderful responses in comparing trails, but still not an answer to my question - so here goes: I need a simple answer as to how Jewell compares to Boott Spur in regards only to spots where you have to pull yourself up.

A little history and why I really, really need an answer to this:

I have hiked to the summit of Mt Washington twice, both times taking Boott Spur trail, which I found sufficiently challenging for me (I don't like completely vertical trails!) I again plan to hike this year, and my STP group wants to take Jewell Trail assuring me that it is just as easy, if not easier than Boott Spur. Now, it's not that I don't believe them, but no one can seem to answer this one simple question: How does Jewell compare to Boot Spur in regards only to spots on the trail where you have to pull yourself up with your arms? I really need an answer to this, as I had major shoulder reconstructive surgery in January and believe it or not even by July I will not be physically capable of puling up my own body weight.

I hope someone can honestly answer this question for me - thanks in adavance!

Thanks

Hello psalisbury! Welcome to these forums.

I have never hiked Boott Spur, so I cannot actually give a comparison of the two. But, I have done Jewell quite a few times and cannot recall any sections where you would have to pull yourself up with your arms. The only arm power you would need is if you use hiking poles. Other than that, it's a fairly easy accent. Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing everyone at STP this year!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

I agree with Bob. I also have never done Boot Spur but have done Jewell many times. There really isn't any spot on the Jewell where you would need to pull yourself up. There are a few rocky areas that you may have to use your arms or trekking poles but only to balance. It is really a great trail to do.

Thanks

And how would you rate the steepness of the trail? I know I'm being kind of neurotic about this, but I'm trying to make a group of very different people happy! One is a first time hiker, one is, like me, in her 50s and doesn't want super difficult, the other is my son who is in the military and could climb anything! Now everyone is fully aware of the fact that "there is no easy way up Mt Washington" but the 3 of us who have hiked Boott Spur really liked the trail so it's a tough decision!

SO, any further details in regards to steepness, rocky aeras, etc would be very much appreaciated! Thanks!

Thanks

I have done both trails and the Jewell is an easier trail. It is the easiest (not shortest) route up IMO.

Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psalisbury View Post
    And how would you rate the steepness of the trail? I know I'm being kind of neurotic about this, but I'm trying to make a group of very different people happy! One is a first time hiker, one is, like me, in her 50s and doesn't want super difficult, the other is my son who is in the military and could climb anything! Now everyone is fully aware of the fact that "there is no easy way up Mt Washington" but the 3 of us who have hiked Boott Spur really liked the trail so it's a tough decision!

SO, any further details in regards to steepness, rocky aeras, etc would be very much appreaciated! Thanks!

As you know, there isn't really any easy way up to the summit. But the Jewell would be the trail most folks would advise beginners and those a little slower to take. One piece of advice would be to just allowed enough time for brief rest periods. Hope this helps.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

I also have done both trails and in my opinion the Jewell is easier both on the ascend and descend.
    Armando

Thanks

Thanks so much for the replies! I think I finally have my answer and can now make an informed decision!

Thanks

I have done both Boott Spur and Jewell multiple times. Jewell is the easier of the 2 by a good margin. In fact I would rate Jewell as the easiest, most evenly graded route to the summit. Over the years I have hiked virtually every trail to the summit with the exception of the great gulf headwall. My then 7 year old summited for his first time on the Jewell and I led a group of boyscouts up and down the Jewell last fall - they ranged in age from 10 or 11 thru 17 and of varying abilities. All made it without difficulty. I can't imagine you can make a better choice if you are looking for the most gentle grade up the rockpile.
    Good Luck,
    Tim

Thanks

Thanks Tim! That's very helpful - Wewill definitely be taking Jewell this year!