Thread: A finish to the 48

Threaded View

Thanks

Default A finish to the 48

I haven't posted in a while, as it seems so many people have moved away from this forum.

I remember my first post here, when we were heading up Ol' George, still pretty green to this whole adventure and we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into and I had some questions.

Since then I've gained countless valuable advice from more seasoned hikers, as I became the more seasoned hiker. I always appreciated the first hand account from someone who just hiked a trail a week ago more than any trail report or trail description from a book. I learned a lot of tricks, unknown facts about different trails, and most times eased my mind as I tend to expect the worst.

Now that I have 47 summits (that count) under my belt, and prepare for #48, I have no real reservations about heading into the clouds (and rain, and mud and wind) tomorrow. I have confidence in myself, in my hiking trio, and the knowledge and experience we have gained together over the years.

I didn't set out to hike all 48, and don't even remember when it became a goal. I hiked Jefferson in 2004, which took 3 attempts to complete due to weather. I didn't hike again for a couple years, and then just a few. I delayed my final goal to get pregnant and have a beautiful, smart and strong little girl who already loves to climb : ) Last summer we went gangbusters and tackled so many long, multiple, hot and grueling hikes that I lost count... all leading to tomorrow's journey up Mt Adams, with a stay at the Madison hut. I started in the presidentials and wanted to end there, so have been saving Adams for a while now.

Although the weather reports are calling for rain and wind, I'm not at all concerned or bothered. I'm prepared, and still have enough healthy respect for the mountains to not be careless. It will still be one hell of an adventure and something no one can ever take away from me. One I hope to one day share with my little hiker in training : )

I will post a report when it's finished, but it might be long given it's a two day journey. I wanted to thank you all for your endless advise and wisdom. I feel that many of my hikes went better than expected just based on feedback and advise I would not have gained otherwise.

I would also like to apologize to anyone staying at Madison Hut Friday night. I might be celebrating and acting a little like a hiking diva (if there is such a thing : )). It may not be as impressive a goal as some I've met on the trail (and I bow to you), like the grid or hiking them in a single season, but it's mine and I've earned it!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addicted For This Useful Post:

KathyC (06-08-2013), MelNino (06-11-2013)