Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stp 2013

Thanks

This will be my 7th climb, 5th in support of STP. Assume the worst. More years than not the summit has been cold, rainy and windy (40's, wet & 40+ knots). What you see in the valley is not what you get on the summit, even on a beautiful day. I think the summit high is only 72 degrees. Bring changes of socks, shirts, bring rain gear, wind breaker and something dry to change into at the summit. Even if it isn't raining you will probably do some sweating in the climb and will be wet on the summit, in the cool breeze.

For all its challenges, the rock pile is still my favorite climb in the Whites.

Have a blast!!!

Chris

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BanjoChris For This Useful Post:

BAXTERCA2 (07-17-2013), CHRIS (07-17-2013), Snow Miser (07-17-2013)

Thanks

Very good advise. One other thing is water plenty of water.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CHRIS For This Useful Post:

BAXTERCA2 (07-17-2013)

Thanks

Thanks Chris!!

Water...yes...definately bring water...and drink it regularly on the way up and down...don't wait until you're thirsty!!!

The other Chris

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BanjoChris For This Useful Post:

CHRIS (07-17-2013), Snow Miser (07-18-2013)

Thanks

My partner dropped out on me. Even though we were just planning to hike the tucks trail to the hut and back, she has asthma and is too worried with the heat and humidity. But, I can totally understand that.

All of you that are hiking the summit, PLEASE Listen to the warnings of the heat and humidity and especially the potential storms for Saturday. I know that it's only once a year and it's looked forward to, but we don't need any hero's, I don't think that is what it is all about.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KathyC For This Useful Post:

BAXTERCA2 (07-18-2013), CHRIS (07-18-2013), Snow Miser (07-18-2013)

Thanks

Thanks for all the help, guys! We always bring lots of water for any hike. We ended up hiking Saturday morning but only up to Tucks - a little past the huts. If we didn't have a 4.5 hour drive home on Sunday, we would have hiked then so we could have reached the summit. It was funny that I was worried about my 8-year-old son's ability to hike that much, then he was flying past me. Oh to be a kid again!

Next year we are planning on booking a week up there starting with the STP weekend and going home the next. That way we have a better chance at catching better weather so we can actually make it to the summit. I can't wait. The entire weekend was so much fun.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JtCatLaroo For This Useful Post:

KathyC (07-22-2013), Snow Miser (07-23-2013)