Thread: No Washington but #s 12 and 13!!

Thanks

Default No Washington but #s 12 and 13!!

Back from my trip, and already looking forward to October (next time I go up)

Alas, the weather was spiteful, and we were not able to hike Washington (rained some almost everyday).

First day out we hiked up Iron Mountain, to make sure we were all healthy. We were Fun hike. Second day out we did Arethusa Falls, which we've driven by several times, but just never found time to hike it. Lovely views. A good number of people were there, some decided to wade. I didn't, ha.

When we realized that we would not get "the big one," due to taunting weather, we decided to look to the other 4000'ers. I admit, there was a part of me hoping this was the case, I missed being able to get any last fall.

We thought Eisenhower would be an excellent choice, and we were right! We hiked up in fog, it was other worldly, and reminded me of the first time I hiked Washington. We could see the trail, but nothing else. Many checks were made on the radar (I was hiking with my former meteorology classmates, in addition to my boyfriend...the only non-wx nut in the group). The summit was great, very windy and still the fog. After lunch, the fog started to lift, and we got to see where we hiked. Amazing. We were about to start our hike back, when another group showed up. They were very jubilant and their enthusiasm was catching. The fog continued to lift, and it was like getting two different mountains in one hike. This was 4000'er #12 for me and the boyfriend.

The following day we walked around the pond path near the Highland Center, finally visited the Willey House and fed some brave ducks. Fun, relaxing day.

But our hiking was not over yet! Mount Pierce was next on out agenda. The hike up was enjoyable, though the wet rocks tried to trip me up. (spoiler: they succeeded on the way down.) We pasted a few groups, all were in good spirits (well, except one baby, but I bet she/he wanted to get down and crawl. I would). The bugs were vicious at the summit, we were hoping for the winds we had on Eisenhower. We stopped at Mizpah on the way down. Best blueberry cake I have ever had. Hunger may have been a factor there. Rest of the hike down was great, and #13 was done!

So, while it was a but of a bummer we didn't get Washington, I was more than happy to get 5 days of hiking and two new 4000'ers.

And to go back to Moat Mountain...

Pics to follow once I stop being lazy and get them off the camera.

Thanks

Even though you couldn't bag Washington, it's nice that you got to add two more 4000'ers to your list. And just being in The Whites is good enough sometimes. Moat Mountain is always a must for us when we get up there too. Thanks for sharing! Look forward to your photos.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Moat was a requirement for me, ha! Ah....thai curry wraps, hush puppies, and that maple chipolte dressing....drool. Oh, we also did the Tuckerman's tour again (we were recognized, that might be bad)

Thanks

We haven't taken that Tuckerman tour for a few years now. Will have to get back there next time we're up. I recall the owners were very nice.
    Bob

Thanks

They have the ALTitude brew now, the old version of the Headwall.
    They do charge $5, but completely worth it, you get a lovely pint glass!!

Thanks

Will have to try that new one. The Headwall was really good. My favorite is the 6288 Stout when it's available. Thanks for the tour info. Coming up for Seek the Peak, and will have to get there for the tour.
    Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Miser View Post
    Will have to try that new one. The Headwall was really good. My favorite is the 6288 Stout when it's available. Thanks for the tour info. Coming up for Seek the Peak, and will have to get there for the tour.
    Bobby O' Miser..... you'd have to be very strategically creative if you're going to tour Tuckerman's when you're up for STP13. Tours are only on Saturday at 3pm. I've been trying to go for the last 2 yrs, car accident on the Kanc the day I had planned on going to celebrate a friends b-day there & it's just never worked out since.

http://www.tuckermanbrewing.com/our-brewery/tours

PS: Can you please talk to your brother "Heat Miser" about this weather/humidity? It's enough already
    Club Member, Mt Washington Observatory
    ~ Everything happens in it's own time ~

Thanks

Thanks for the info Prez! Will have to do the tour on the next trip up there then. Do not want to miss the activities at Seek the Peak.

P.S. I have been trying to get through to that "Hot Head", but he's a tough one. I'll try to blow a little cool air into the region this week just to give everyone a little relief.
    Bob

Thanks

Ah, I should have mentioned the time!

Agreed, this heat is crazy. Though isn't complaint about weather a New England tradition?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MelNino For This Useful Post:

Snow Miser (07-09-2013)