Thread: Trying Franconia Ridge

Thanks

Default Trying Franconia Ridge

My family leaves tomorrow morning for Lake Winnipesaukee for the week. I'd much rather spend it camping someplace, but I was out voted! I'm hoping to take off for a day and figured Franconia Ridge would give me the best views for a day hike!

I'm looking at Monday as the day, but am willing to hold off if the weather doesn't look good (so far, it doesn't look bad though!)

I'm a bit nervous, as I haven't done any elevation like that since Mt. Washington about 12 years ago. I won't lie, I'm a out shape, but I try to get in a few hikes weekly here in northeast CT with a "weighted bag" that consists of my daughter's kid carrier & her lol.

I planned on going up Falling Water so that, in the event I do need to turn around, atleast I'll get some nice scenery in! I think my biggest concern is time. Around here, I manage around 3mph and can go about 10 miles without stopping. I'm thinking of hitting the trail around 8am so I have PLENTY of time, but I still get concerned. Any advice on this? Like "if you don't reach point X by 2, turn around"?

Either way, bag is packed, camera is all charged up! If you happen to see a fat guy struggling on the way up, don't be bashful!

Happy hiking

Thanks

My wife and I took up hiking at the age of 55. Up till then I hadn't exercised much for 30 plus years. Franconia Ridge was our 4th hike ever. I would say that this trail was way over our level. Many a time during this hike, I said I would never do this again. The day after I was so proud of myself and felt that I would do it again. The following year I felt so good that I hiked Mt Washington. We started our day like we have had in numerous hikes in the Whites, having breakfast at well known Polly's Pancake Parlor. Interesting enough our view from our table was FR. We started at 0930 and got to our car at just before 2000. We went up the Falling Waters Trail. Like many hikers there is a percentage of young people, hike on a difficult trail without difficulty. On the other end there are a lot of young people who take as many breaks as I do. My only suggestions that I have is to start earlier then I did and be aware of where you are in relation to the distance you have left. It gets to a point where it takes just as long to retreat then it is to continue on. Deciding at Little Haystack is a good choice. I remember climbing up Adams to a point where I had maybe 30-45 min left to reach the summit and turning around because I was running late. I hated to and I felt defeated but felt it was a good decision because we got to the car 5 min before dark. Hiking the White Mountains is so incredible to me. I don't have to hike a summit to enjoy hiking. Saying that, there is nothing like sitting on a bald summit eating lunch and enjoying the views. Best of all is saying at the end of the day that you did it. Good luck

Thanks

Never kick your own butt because you didn't summit, just get out and start. There are many things OUT of your control that can you turn around, but your own common sense should be the first thing on the list of reasons to say uh-uh, far enough UP, I still have to go DOWN. So what if you bite off more than you can chew? The trail will always be there another day, the summits don't move.

Breeze

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Breeze For This Useful Post:

Snow Miser (08-17-2013)

Thanks

I absolutely agree Breeze. There have been many times we've set out for a summit, only to have been turned back due to weather, timing, or nightfall. The trails and summits will always be there the next day for another attempt. The main thing is to just enjoy being out there with good friends and family!
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

We were on the ridge on Sunday with several hundred of our closest friends lol. Here's a link to a photosphere I took with my phone between Mt Lincoln and N Lincoln (Truman). Note: you do need a Google account to view it. Scroll to zoom and L mouse to drag.

https://www.google.com/maps/views/vi...72199d6e7b97b2

Thanks

That's really cool Bill! Nice 360 degree view.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set