Thread: Super Typhoon Haiyan with gusts of 235mph

Thanks

Default Super Typhoon Haiyan with gusts of 235mph

CNN reporting on Super Typhoon Haiyan, near the Philippines:
    With sustained winds of 315 kph (195 mph) and gusts as strong as 380 kph (235 mph), Haiyan was probably the strongest tropical cyclone to hit land anywhere in the world in recorded history. It will take further analysis after the storm passes to establish whether it is a record.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/08/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

Thanks

The footage that has been shown of the winds and flooding so far has been amazing. Cannot imagine what the area will look like once it clears out of there.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Someplace in the Philippines had a wind gust that exceeded Mount Washington's old record....the problem nobody recorded it.

No stations there could record or even survive anything much above 100mph. There are no Doppler radars and no hurricane hunter aircraft in the storm. It's entirely based on satellite estimates. Good estimates, but not actual data.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

The technical reporting on this storm has been horrendous. The BBC managed to forget to convert between kph and mph and others upconverted that data. Any references to 235 mph should be 235 kph.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/11/0...early-reports/ says in part:

So at landfall the sustained wind was 235 kmh or 147 mph, with gusts upto 275 kmh or 171 mph. This is 60 mph less than the BBC have quoted.

The maximum strength reached by the typhoon appears to have been around landfall, as the reported windspeeds three hours earlier were 225 kmh (140mph).

Terrible though this storm was, it only ranks as a Category 4 storm, and it is clear nonsense to suggest that it is "one of the most powerful storms on record to make landfall"

Thanks

Default While we're on the topic of record winds

A fellow at WattsUpWithThat posted today:

I appreciate WUWT exposing this too. Worlds maximum wind speed measurement was on Mt Washington observatory, NH in 1934 at 231 mph and hasn?t been exceeded since. Years ago I knew that.
    http://www.mountwashington.org/about...recordwind.php

Sure would be nice if someone would at least add a footnote to that page! It's been over three years since I brought the news here....