Thread: Washington via Tuckerman on Sat 9/7 or Sun 9/8

Hybrid View

Thanks

Lightbulb Washington via Tuckerman on Sat 9/7 or Sun 9/8

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum.

My background:
    I've been hiking for over a year now, and I have a list of peaks I'd like to bag. My three major peaks for 2013 are Mt Catawba/McAfee's Knob (May (DONE)), Washington (Summer), and a two-day backpack of the Devil's Path (October). I've done 10+ moderate-strenuous hikes with NYC-area meetups. I'm a physically capable hiker, but am still not 100% confident in my navigation skills. Next year's hikes include Katahdin, Marcy, Franconia Ridge, Clingman's Dome, and Mt. Mitchell.

My deal:
    In May of this year, I went with an NYC-based hiking meetup to bag Mt Isolation & Mt Washington. By the time we reached Glen Boulder, we realized it was too hazardous to do Washington (personally, I enjoyed the wind gusts and crazy weather. Being above treeline in such conditions was, by far, the most fun/excitement I've ever had on the trail). Instead, we bagged Isolation and Davis. I was pretty disappointed, but understood the hike leader's decision to turn back.

My goal:
    I'd like to summit Washington (via Tuckerman Ravine from Pinkham Notch) on either Saturday 9/7 or Sunday 9/8. I'd drive up Friday and car-camp into Saturday morning. I'd make the ascent on the day with better weather.

My Problem:
    Since I'm at about 50% when it comes to navigation/map skills, I'm concerned about completing the hike alone. I'm not sure if the trails are well-marked. I'd like to start the hike crazy early, so we can enjoy some awesome views at the top.

My Question:
    Does anyone want to join me?

Thanks

Hi NYC Jay,

Welcome to the forum! I can't join you on this hike (I live in NC these days), but I would encourage you to go ahead and do this hike by yourself unless the weather conditions are bad. The Tuckerman fire road is a bombproof route, being so wide, and above that you have good cairns to guide your way. The one major exception: if it is socked in with poor visibility, or cold and windy, save it for another time. I have done a lot of solo hiking myself and find it very rewarding. These days I do a lot of solo bushwhacking in the Smokies. You have some great mountain goals, and I wish you the best with them.

Thanks

This is such a popular route that there will be plenty of chances for you to befriend a fellow hiker. It is truly amazing how many people hike this route. Good luck.