Thread: Overnight in the Whites, looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Question Overnight in the Whites, looking for suggestions.

Hello all,

First, I'm new to this form. I am wanting to take an overnight(backcountry camping) hike in the Whites soon. Problem is, I don't know what the good hikes are for views and overnight backcountry areas are. I have read Ll the rules....bellow tree line, 1/4miles from the trails, non protected areas. I have hiked a bunch of the mountains as a kid and am very good with navigation and maps. I just like to maybe see what some of the forms users "favorite" 2 day hikes are. I have all the supplies.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you guys/gals may have.

Thanks

Sorry this is late, haven't checked in for awhile... I would suggest a night at Nauman Tentsites adjacent to Mizpah Spring Hut on Mt. Pierce, next day up to Mt. Pierce and maybe on to Mt. Eisenhower depending on ambition and fatigue level.

Another idea would be to camp at Hermit Lake in Tuckerman Ravine and maybe summit Mount Washington next day depending on weather and ambition.

A list of AMC backcountry sites can be found here:

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/camp...es-profile.cfm

Be sure to store your food in Bear boxes as there have been numerous problems with improperly stored food this year in the Whites. It is not a bear problem, it is a people problem. People who do not properly store their food in the back country invite bears to help themselves. A fed bear is a dead bear...

KDT

Thanks

Thanks KDT, I'll check out both of those on the map. I did a day hike to Mt Wash summit a few weeks ago. Fantastic weather.....well, fantastic weather for that location.
    As far as the bears go, I think we just need to work on synergy with them. Maybe some joint human/bear classes and come to an agreement and reasoning with them. They could really make for a great hiking partner.