Thread: Moose Hikes, White Mountains?

Thanks

Default Moose Hikes, White Mountains?

Hello to all~
    I would like to start off by saying I am new to the forums. My post today is going to be about some hikes in the White Mountains. In my entire life, I have seen at least 23 moose that I can count off the top of my head in New Hampshire. However, almost all of my sightings have been at the side of some back road, deep down in a bog, in a ditch below a main road, or a viewing from a long ways off. Moose sightings are always a treat no matter how many of them you see, however I think it would be a lot more exciting to encounter a moose in the woods whilst hiking or camping. I love to hike a lot, but I just simply don't know where the moose are! I think even if I could find some moose prints or scat it would make my day. I also know from experience that moose viewing in the winter time is difficult, however even if you guys can help me out with some trails that are very "moose active" in the spring/summer time that would be great. Thank you very much for your time!

~Andrew

Thanks

Welcome to the boards Andrew! As far as I know, seeing a moose on the trail is probably just happen chance. I have hiked many trails in The Whites, and have never run into a moose. Franconia Notch is suppose to have a lot of them, but I'm not sure of exactly where would be best. Some folks on here do know where they tend to be, but they keep those places a tight secret for the moose' safety. Others may have some good suggestions. Good luck! If you get some photos, please post them if you would.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow Miser For This Useful Post:

KathyC (02-22-2014), Trailsend (02-24-2014)

Thanks

Andrew

I hiked the Howker Ridge Trail in September. I started from Pinkham B at the end of Dolly Copp Road in Randolph. It's a bit out of the way but I would guess that I was about 1.5 to 2 miles in when I came across a massive amount of moose scat that lined the trail for roughly 100 yards. It may have been an area they call Blueberry Ledges. The trail was very ledgy at this point, but I don't recall if that was the exact same area. If you hike in when there is no snow on the ground, you wouldn't be able to walk past the scat without noticing it, because there is so much of it. I was very surprised that I didn't see a moose that day, but was also very aware that I was in their territory. Good Luck with your search!

John

Thanks

I've hiked all the 48 at least once and the biggest animal I have seen on the trail is a deer. I have found multiple places that showed sign of moose though. Some fresh, some not so fresh. It surprises me to a degree how many times you see fresh tracks near or at the summits. One of the sections in the whites I have heard the most about moose being present or near is the Kilkenny Ridge from Waumbek to Cabot. I have seen track over both of those summits and heard about multiple moose being seen in a single trip between the two peaks. I also hear the trail can be tricky to follow at times and of course it probably doesn't see much use in winter.

The closest encounter I have had with a moose was from just after the summit of Starr King to the view just past the Waumbek summit. Just after leaving Starr King I saw a large track so I took a picture of it with my hand next to it. When I continued on, all of a sudden there was the same size track headed the other way. I looked and could see that the moose had turned around and headed back down the trail. Based on the facts that the moose had been wandering side to side and grazing heading towards me and that it went directly back up the trail with longer strides away from me, I'm certain that I am what turned that moose around. I never did see it though (probably because I kept my camera out).

Thanks

For the most part you're only going to see them just after dawn or just before sunset. They are basically nocturnal and are usually bedded down for the day. During rut these rules don't apply. If you really want to see them go to Baxter in May or June. The place is lousy with them (and blackflies!)

KDT