Thread: Observatory Contribution

Thanks

Default Observatory Contribution

I am a year round hiker on Mt Washington. One question that has continually bothered me is, what does the Observatory do to help the mountain? I understand it is a weather observatory, meant for that reason. However, they are given a huge privilege by using a beautiful space that is meant for the public. Other than charging the public $500 a night to stay there, what does the observatory actually do for the mountain? Do they clean, protect, or generally help the mountain? I haven't been able to find a single instance that the observatory actually benefits the mountain. Not even taking into consideration the pollution and eyesore that the observatory creates, what does the observatory do to help this beautiful place that they take so much from?
    -Michael

Thanks

I am by no means qualified to truly answer the questions posed but I will offer some thoughts, in no particular order.

Not even taking into consideration the pollution and eyesore that the observatory creates
    I truly do not understand that comment. The OBS has a relatively small footprint on the mountain. Could that small round stone structure in the corner of the much larger Sherman Adams State Park building be considered an eyesore? Most of the Rockpile is N.H. State Park.

what does the Observatory do to help the mountain?
    In addition to the weather observations that are part of a worldwide effort to document weather around the world, the OBS provides weather forcasts that are of much value to those hiking the Rockpile and surrounding "hills". Those forcasts, for those that pay attention, help keep climbers out of trouble from harsh and often life threatening conditions. I would consider that a major contribution to the mountain and those that hike and/or visit the mountain.

While not part of their duties, OBS staff have been know to help in search and rescue operations.

I am sure there are others that can add to this and answer the question better that I.

Happy hiking.
    Gene .. just one more Swamp Yankee from RI.

Thanks

One thing to remember is that the OBS is a tenant in the Sherman Adams building. They rent their space there. The state owns the building. So if the OBS wasn't there, something else probably would be.

Thanks

You bring up a good point sdways01. If the OBS wasn't a tenant, then something else probably would be. That might be good, or it might be bad. Years ago, I understand there was a hotel on the site, or close by, which must have been very nice for folks. In my humble opinion, the OBS is a perfect fit now. In collaboration with the state park, they help offer so much for the public to experience. Tours of a real weather station, opportunity to spend the night atop a mountain, the new museum, etc. I think the number of visitors each year says a lot about how the team effort to working out.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Miser For This Useful Post:

KathyC (10-26-2014)

Thanks

What would be a concrete example of " helping the mountain" ?

Being a monetary partner with all the other diverse interests that own property at the Summit ???

Partnering with MWSP to reduce pollution ?? Assisting financially, through fees paid to the MWSP, for the installation of a sewage treatment plant that actually TREATS waste, and returns CLEAN water, instead of holding sewerage and gray water in a storage tank and releasing it ON the mountain ? Contributing to the effort of the MWSP to bring reliable electrical service to the summit in place of running fossil fueled generators 24/7/365 ? Contributing to the effort to REDUCE pollution makes them " a contributor" to the shared environment, IMHO. Contributing to the MWSP mission to clear the summit of debris and longstanding litter and refuse from " other users" makes them community members, working with others to " help".

Partnering with MWSP and other interests to educate the public about the mountain environment, including weather, and hiker safety ? When OBS staff write, daily, if not more often, , about conditions to be expected on the higher summits, that isn't a contribution to all who seek the summit ?

OBS staff have certainly been called to assist in rescue, year round. In addition, their large Bombardier snow-cat is a relatively new addition to the Mountain Community, allowing access to the summit NOT ONLY for OBS STAFF, but in assisting partners ( MWSP, F&G, the Auto Road) to respond effectively, and in a timely manner, to emergencies that might exist when the mountain is swathed in snowcover.

Perhaps the most widespread, mis-applied " thinking" about Mt Washington is that it has always been held in the Public Trust, BY the Government, which is about as mistaken an idea as one can have. One must delve pretty far back into history, oh.... to the late 1700's, to understand the genesis and evolution of Mt Washington as it exists today.

Breeze

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breeze For This Useful Post:

Gorque (10-25-2014), Snow Miser (10-26-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    Partnering with MWSP to reduce pollution ?? Assisting financially, through fees paid to the MWSP, for the installation of a sewage treatment plant that actually TREATS waste, and returns CLEAN water, instead of holding sewerage and gray water in a storage tank and releasing it ON the mountain ?

Breeze
    I was unaware of this forward-thinking facility. Where on the summit is it located?
    Every landscape which is dreary enough has a certain beauty to my eyes, and in this instance
    its permanent qualities were enhanced by the weather. H.D. Thoreau

Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Breeze For This Useful Post:

Gorque (10-26-2014)