Thread: Ammonoosuc/Jewell

Thanks

Default Ammonoosuc/Jewell

Looking for opinions on doing an Ammonoosuc/Jewell loop - which one is better up and which one down - opinions? I've only ever done Boott Spur (twice) and started Tuckerman's last year but lightning prevented us from continuing - decided to tackle the west side this year!
    Last edited by psalisbury; 06-11-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks

I'm no expert, but from my experience (and from what I've heard from many other people) Ammo is generally better on the way up and Jewell on the way down. The Ammo trail is steeper (and probably rougher) than Jewell, and has sections of scrambling that can be wet, so thus is more suited for ascent then descent. The Jewell trail by contrast is a gentle grade and has pretty good footing (except for the upper part), but is relentless and a bit monotonous. Therefore it's easier on the knees compared to Ammo on the way down. This is the standard way (Ammo up Jewell down) but people hike it vice-versa as well.

Thanks

I agree is much easier to ascend the Ammonoosuc and descent on the Jewell as the Ammonoosuc has some steep sections that are normally wet and can be slippery go down.
    Armando

Thanks

I also agree, the best is Ammo up and Jewell down. It takes a while to get into tree line going down the Jewell too, so the views are nice if there aren't many clouds.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Thank you all! I think this will be our path this year