Thread: Osceola and black flies

Thanks

Default Osceola and black flies

I would like to take a family hike up Osceola next weekend. We usually head north to the Whites in July and August and have managed to avoid black fly season. I know we've had a cool May in New England. Is it a late black fly season this year? This will be my younger daughter's first 4,000 footer, and I don't want her completely turned off by swarms of those little nasties. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi simons mom! From my experience hiking in The Whites for some time now, those nasty black flies are usually all gone by July and August. But, I haven't been up there yet this year. I'm sure others that live there will surely let you know how this year is shaping up. Good luck with your hike! I hope your daughter falls in love with hiking and the beautiful NH mountains.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2013 Photo Set

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow Miser For This Useful Post:

KathyC (06-16-2014), simons mom (06-24-2014), Trailsend (06-15-2014)

Thanks

Blackflies are alive and doing quite well in Nh these past few weeks. It can be spotty where they are bad and where they are not so bad. They generally spread south to north like the blossoming of wildflowers, so the further north you are the worse they are right now and the further south you are they are nearing the end of their cycle. Osceola is further south than most of the Whites, but I would still expect to encounter them in some degree. This year we have found the mosquitos to be very bad down low and the blackflies worse as we gain elevation. June tend to be the worst month for them, july they begin to taper off, August brings deer flies and horseflies, September things to taper off some more. Although we hike all year long, I like hiking October through March the best…

KDT

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KD Talbot For This Useful Post:

KathyC (06-19-2014), simons mom (06-24-2014)

Thanks

Thank you so much for the responses. We had a fabulous hike! The chimney between Oceola and East Osceola was a bit spotty for me, but overall we had a great time. No black flies, but plenty of mosquitos by Greeley Pond.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simons mom For This Useful Post:

KathyC (06-25-2014), Snow Miser (06-25-2014)