Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identify Mountains

Thanks

Default Identify Mountains

I took these pictures while hiking up Boott Spur and really don't know what mountain they are - can anyone identify?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to psalisbury For This Useful Post:

uyype (10-04-2014)

Thanks

It's really hard to tell. If they were taken facing somewhat NE from that trail, they could lower parts of Wildcat or Middle Carter.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

Honestly I have no clue what way I was facing! If I remember correctly they were probably taken just past split rock judging by where tree line is, but I'm willing to bet you would know better than I how close split rock is to tree line?

Thanks

Did you take them with a phone and/or the originals geotagged? That would help.

You can also try this: http://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=44.25...e=Boott%20Spur

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 06-27-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Tim I'll look at the peak finder site. I looked and compared and i think it might be North Baldface - thoughts?
    Last edited by psalisbury; 07-03-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks

Not positive, but wondering why the swath of clear cut. Were you crossing the Sherbourne Trail on the Boott Spur Trail? It reminds me of a ski slope, which leads me to the next: I think #1 is the Imp Face from somewhere on Wildcat, perhaps the summit near the top of the ski lift, or descending Polecat. If that is what it is, then I would guess #2 to be the same general view towards Northern Pinkham Notch and Gorham. Just a guess….
    KDT

Thanks

I thought maybe Slide Peak and Mt. Isolation looking south. But I don't know. Psalisbury, why do you ask us to identify peaks when you don't even know if you were looking north, south, east, or west? Sorry. I have certainly made navigational mistakes myself! Some pretty terrible ones! But it's as if you don't even try when you are hiking to attempt anything navigational. You can get away with this on trails in good weather conditions. Not in white-fog conditions above treeline. Not if you ever want to try anything off trail. Sorry if I sound harsh, but the mountains can be harsh!

Thanks

In reply to krummholz, I suppose I can appreciate that you think I am some sort of professional hiker who might actually attempt to climb Mt Washington in inclement weather, but I am not. I have hiked it to the summit 3 times, going on 4 this year, and surprise, surprise I haven’t gotten lost yet, there are these wonderful things called a compass and trail markers for us “inexperienced hikers.” With regard to "attempting anything navigational" I appreciate the input but not the sarcasm.

I really just thought it would be fun to ask someone on this board to help me identify the peaks, as these pictures were taken 3 years ago I really do not know what way I was facing – so sorry if this offends you.

If there’s a moderator following this please just remove this post and all others if I am going to be reprimanded for trying to have a little fun – not my cup of tea thanks!!!!!

Thanks

Yeah, gee krummholz, back off! Hard enough to get anyone to post here!

KDT

Thanks

I am sorry. I was in a mood, obviously. Please, moderator, remove my comment and any other comments that follow from it.