Thread: Mt Washington Sunrise Drive

Thanks

Default Mt Washington Sunrise Drive

We read about this event a couple of weeks ago. What a busy week for the Auto Road and the Observatory. Laconia motor cycle week attracts over 200k motorcycles to NH. Because of this, The Auto Road set aside 2 days this week for motorcycles only. Saturday they had the road race (run). I find it amazing that a person can run up the AR in a hour. Later in the day they had a Mini Cooper day where after a certain time only the Mini's could ride up. They usually have over 200 Mini's on the MC day. This past Saturday, the AR had their 1st Sunrise Drive of 2014. Two additional Sunrise Drives will be offered this summer. I highly recommend doing this but you have to up get up very early because the incredible orange sky doesn't last longer then 20 min. We decided to stay at a nearby hotel so we can get at the gate when it was opened (0315). We love the White Mountains so much (hiking,snow shoeing and sight seeing). I have hiked up to the summit, taken the Cog up and also taken the Auto Road 4-5 times. I highly recommend the Sunrise Drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by d.b.cooperisalive; 06-24-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Thanks

I have done a couple sunrise drives and they are fun. Actually, I have never been the driver in the car going up the mountain in the daylight. The multiple times I have been the driver it has always been in the dark. Sometimes you get a great sunrise and sometimes it's so cloudy you can't tell it has risen.

Thanks

Nice pictures d.b. cooperisalive! Looks like it was a good sunrise. Have never done one, but it is on the to do list.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set