Thread: What's your footwear?

Thanks

Default What's your footwear?

What is your preferred footwear when engaging in an all-day hike?

I've see some folks in sneakers, others in hiking shoes, still others in hiking boots and on rare occasions backpacking boots and sometimes even sandals!

Myself I prefer hiking boots mainly for the support and protection of my ankles.
    Every landscape which is dreary enough has a certain beauty to my eyes, and in this instance
    its permanent qualities were enhanced by the weather. H.D. Thoreau

Thanks

I'm with you Gorque on this subject. Hiking boots for the support and protection. These are what I use now. They are so comfortable. And by purchasing them, it's nice to help one of the Obs' sponsors too.
    Bob

I never want to see a day
    That's over forty degrees
    I'd rather have it thirty,
    Twenty, ten, five and let it freeeeEEEEEEeeze!

My Seek the Peak 2014 Photo Set

Thanks

If it's a day hike without a heavy pack and no snow I wear low hikers. I'm in Merrils right now. Overnights or hikes with a heavier pack I use regular hiking boots which right now are Keen Voyageurs. Winter hikes I'm using Scarpa Summit GTX's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Miser View Post
    These are what I use now. They are so comfortable. And by purchasing them, it's nice to help one of the Obs' sponsors too.
    It's a shame I wasn't aware of this program before I purchased my Breeze's earlier in the year. This is my second set of them. I must say that they are a heck of a lot lighter than the first boots I ever purchased. I like to think of them as my Frankenstein shoes.

Every landscape which is dreary enough has a certain beauty to my eyes, and in this instance

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gorque For This Useful Post:

Snow Miser (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billysinc View Post
    Winter hikes I'm using Scarpa Summit GTX's.
    I'm thinking of investing in some winter boots. Do the ones you have work well with crampons and micro-spikes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gorque View Post
    I'm thinking of investing in some winter boots. Do the ones you have work well with crampons and micro-spikes?
    The nose of them is notched for a clip-on crampon so yes they're good for crampons. The micro-spikes I had were sized more for my regular hiking boots and were a real stretch to put on the Scarpa's. They're just a physically bigger boot even though they're the same size. I didn't want to stretch them out too much so I ended up buying some Hillsounds for them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to billysinc For This Useful Post:

Gorque (10-28-2014)

Thanks

Great topic! I'm going to be in the market for some new hiking boots real soon. I think my current pair are Keen's that I have pretty much worn out to nothing. Got them a couple of years ago, and just recently, I have noticed that my feet are now sore after hiking all day in them. I basically wear them anytime I go out and hike...spring, summer, fall, winter...rain, snow, sun...you name it. I prefer to look for something that is solid with little mesh because of stream crossing, so its pretty imperative that they are water proof. I don't just use them, I abuse them actually. What kind of boot is that Gorque? That is pretty much what I'm looking for in a boot currently.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tdb1977 For This Useful Post:

Snow Miser (Yesterday)

Thanks

For a day hike with a light pack I use Salomon Ultra Mid hikers. I can hike all day with no discomfort and they'd seem to be very durable.
    Armando

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trailsend For This Useful Post:

Snow Miser (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tdb1977 View Post
    What kind of boot is that Gorque? That is pretty much what I'm looking for in a boot currently.
    Those are Vasque mountaineering boots. They date from the late 70's to early 80's. I clipped the picture from a pair for sale on ebay. They're made of real thick leather and nearly unbendable soles. In fact they're nearly indestructible! Great for maximum foot and ankle protection, but heavy as heck. I still have mine although I haven't worn them in about 15 or 20 years.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gorque For This Useful Post:

tdb1977 (Yesterday)