Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: High Pressure

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,681
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Default High Pressure

    It's not a blizzard, ice storm, high winds, or a storm at all. But today the pressure was very high, especially for this time of year. Around New England today surface pressures reached 30.80".

    These are the kind of pressures you see during Arctic highs in January. Other than that its not a very exciting topic. You just don't see it too often.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,247
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 398 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    I heard there was some snow forecast for tonight - then it changed to "Wintery Mix" - now they are saying freezing rain.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,681
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I heard there was some snow forecast for tonight - then it changed to "Wintery Mix" - now they are saying freezing rain.
    Too much warm air aloft. Major warm air advection occurring tonight which will lead to a quick warm up tomorrow.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default what he said

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Too much warm air aloft. Major warm air advection occurring tonight which will lead to a quick warm up tomorrow.
    30 on the summit at 200am
    eric j

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,681
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    Is there any weather to talk about anywhere? Something? Please....
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    126
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Is there any weather to talk about anywhere? Something? Please....
    The temps have been pretty mild across the country, so even the national extreme temps (which I really enjoy looking at) have been pretty boring. The low yesterday (12) and today (17) are nothing like the ones from just three and four days ago (-21 at Embarrass, MN, and -17 at Island Pond, VT). Only one station reported 90 or higher yesterday (in TX), and it'll only be a little bit warmer today.

    On these boring days, I end up going through some of the old NOAA online temp tables just for fun...and to verify some of my extreme temp data from years past. It's actually more interesting than it sounds

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,681
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    I have a weather station in CT thats about a month away from collecting 5 years worth of continuous data. I created a spreadsheet that tracks the daily averages and extremes.

    With only 4 years worth of data its fun because I break a record every few days. But the averages are all over the place, just not enough data points. When I start to run a moving average that includes +/- 10 days of data the graphs finally start to smooth out.

    I also update this page every month. I got the idea from MWO's site.

    That's pretty much what I do with the weather when it gets boring.

    Edit: Where do you get the national extreme data? Is there a convenient source?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,247
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 398 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    I have a weather station in CT thats about a month away from collecting 5 years worth of continuous data. I created a spreadsheet that tracks the daily averages and extremes.

    With only 4 years worth of data its fun because I break a record every few days. But the averages are all over the place, just not enough data points. When I start to run a moving average that includes +/- 10 days of data the graphs finally start to smooth out.

    I also update this page every month. I got the idea from MWO's site.

    That's pretty much what I do with the weather when it gets boring.

    Edit: Where do you get the national extreme data? Is there a convenient source?
    Bill, your link does not work.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    6,247
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 398 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Is there any weather to talk about anywhere? Something? Please....
    We hit 80 degrees here in NC today. And I saw it hit 51 at the cabin in Maine. The snow along the driveway is melting fast and I do not even need to turn the driveway heat system on to do it.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,681
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 34 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Bill, your link does not work.
    Should work now.

    http://www.easternlight.net/Weather/Darien/Normals.pdf
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •