Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skiing Tucks?

Thanks

Default Skiing Tucks?

Anybody planning on skiing Tuckerman's this spring?

I'd like to make it up there one of these weekends, at least to see the party. I'm rather picky though, looking for good weather only.

Not sure about skiing it either. I find its much more enjoyable to watch the line of troops march up the headwall in lines. Stopping only to move out of the way as their comrades tumble by. The best part is watching everyone putting on their skis on the absolute steepest part of the bowl. Sure you could walk another hundred yards and stand in complete safety to attach your skis. Or you could stand there trembling. Hanging onto your poles, two skis and standing on a small and collapsible snow step.

Looking at some of the webcam zooms the ravine doesn't look that great. Plenty of snow for skiing, but too many rocks for March. I was there for Inferno two years ago and only a few of the lunch rocks were showing. Looks quite a bit different now.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I'll be up at the ravine this weekend 3/31-4/1. I'm planning on skiing Hillman's, Lower Snowfields, and maybe parts of the Lip/Left Gully. I've been going up to the Ravine for the last couple years and have seen conditions for this time of year run the gamut from Lunch Rocks completely buried to almost bare. For me, there's lots of snow. I'm looking forward to it. I'll post pics and stuff when I get back if anyone is interested.
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

Default Tucks- " No place like it"

Had planned on coming up to Tucks with my 13 year old this spring but now with surgery on the knee on April 5th that plan is out the window. Guess I will just have to live thru the Tuck videos on u-tube. There are some great videos of guys hucking right off the highest point of the headwall and the crowd on lunch rocks going crazy (GREAT video). I guess I will have to live thru u-tube so please if you ski Tucks this spring post a video and post the link here that way I will at least have the fun of watching other people ski it. Next April look for me, I will be there but not sure if I will be crazy enough to try jumping again after what happend last time. Those who ski Tucks this Spring have an awesome time and don't forget that video camera.

Thanks

might be more like ice skating given the way conditions look. i'll try and get a video camera on my trip this weekend, but i'll def. have pictures and an extensive TR that i'll post here, on T4T and BC Agenda (gotta cover all the bases)
    5 Days 2007-2008

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidhowland14
    might be more like ice skating given the way conditions look. i'll try and get a video camera on my trip this weekend, but i'll def. have pictures and an extensive TR that i'll post here, on T4T and BC Agenda (gotta cover all the bases)
    Please post your TR and photos. It could be interesting this weekend. I'm not sure if it is going to warm up enough to soften the snow. Which makes for very dangerous conditions. Still worth hiking up in my opinion, but be prepared to not ski.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Looks like I'll be up there this weekend, 4/14-15. Staying at Pinkham Friday night and maybe HoJo's Saturday night.

Not sure what the plan is for Saturday. Maybe bang out Hillman's and lower snowfields in the morning. Then head up to the bowl to watch the mayhem in the afternoon. Assuming avalanche conditions improve, of course.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Looks like I'll be up there this weekend, 4/14-15. Staying at Pinkham Friday night and maybe HoJo's Saturday night.

Not sure what the plan is for Saturday. Maybe bang out Hillman's and lower snowfields in the morning. Then head up to the bowl to watch the mayhem in the afternoon. Assuming avalanche conditions improve, of course.

Seeing such quotes as "Is there such a thing as Bad Weather" on this site. and the seeming desire to hike to the summit in whiteout conditions at temps well below zero, I would hope that when you say "Assuming avalanche conditions improve" you mean that you are hoping the chance of an avalanche actually DECREASES, right?

Thanks

Until which date is it possible to ski at Mount Washington?When does ski season ends usually?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian hiker
    Until which date is it possible to ski at Mount Washington?When does ski season ends usually?
    It varies greatly from year to year. You can ski as long as the snow lasts. Until last week it looked like things were winding down rapidly, but the recent snows have revived the mountain.

On average I'd say the skiing in Tuckerman Ravine ends in mid-May, with the east snowfields lasting a few weeks longer. I've also seen the bowl get washed out in April or remain well covered into June.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

Bill - what dates were you working at MWO on the summit? I have a feeling you gave me and some friends a tour ...
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012