Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What trail are you going to use?

Thanks

Default What trail are you going to use?

I thought I'd spin this thread off from the general information. Just curious what trail everyone is going to take.

I'll most likely go with Tucks. I actually don't mind seeing crowds on the trail, they're fun to talk to. So long as the group isn't sitting right in the middle of the trail. I'm not all that motivated to make the trek to the other side of the mountain either.

If the weather is exceptional I might take Huntingon's, but still descend via Tucks.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default route

how is hunington trial? smooth incline or steep? hows the sights

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mplumbw
    how is hunington trial? smooth incline or steep? hows the sights
    The Huntington Ravine Trail is the most difficult hiking route up the mountain. Its very steep with a great deal of exposure. There are many places where a slip could mean a serious or fatal accident.

First timers should really stick to Tuckermans or Lion's Head. A loop would be a good idea. Up Tucks and down Lions Head. Both start and end at the same place.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Question route

thanks for info, going to stick with lionshead I think. last year we started around 930am,do you think earlier is better (weather permitting)

Thanks

I never hiked huntington's, but here's this from wikipedia:

"Huntington Ravine is a glacial cirque on Mount Washington in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Of the four major cirques on Mount Washington (Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines, and Oakes Gulf and the Great Gulf), it has the steepest and highest headwall. Only one hiking trail ascends Huntington Ravine toward Mount Washington's summit; that trail, the Huntington Ravine Trail, crosses a boulder field, ascends a talus fan, and winds steeply up the center of the cirque's headwall, requiring several tricky scrambling moves that may be intimidating for less-experienced (or more acrophobic) hikers."

Sounds intimidating!

Thanks

Cool route

think we will stay away from there this year, maybe try next stp, 2008(hahaha)

Thanks

Default Huntington Ravine

Surpisingly to me, at least, Wikipedia's description is pretty good. There are some tough scrambles and a few spots where someone who doesn't like heights would definitely be uncomfortable. The word precipitous comes to mind. Huntington may be slightly steeper, but I would have to argue that the climb up the Great Gulf Headwall from Spaulding Lake would be more difficult in that there would be more elevation gain to get over the headwall and Spaulding Lake is much more remote and difficult to reach than the boulder field below Huntington Ravine. Bill's suggestion of climbing Tuckerman Ravine and descending Lion's Head is an excellent hike, but if people are looking for lesser traveled trails, Glen Boulder, Boott Spur and Nelson Crag are all excellent choices, though they are less direct and and add significantly to the distance. They can all be reached from Pinkham Notch and one can always descend by Tuckerman Ravine or Lion's Head, even without reaching the summit. The summit does not have to be the goal on this hike, though most prefer to reach it. I have had many excellent hikes on Washington without ever going to the summit. I suppose some would say "What's the point if you're not going to the summit?" Sit on Boott Spur some day with your favorite lunch and watch the clouds roll by the summit dome and you'll know what the point is.
    KDT

Thanks

Thumbs up Wamsutta Trail

Mentioned it in the other thread but since the trail has not brought up here, here is another good choice, the WamsuttaTrail. This trail comes out of the great gulf and runs into the Alpine Garden Trail at the auto road. This trail tends to be quiet and is one of my favorites. This might be a great option for those climbing on the 28th and looking for a trail different than Tucks. This allows you to take in the Great Gulf along with the climb to the Summit.

Thanks

Question

Probably Ammonoosuc up, Jewell down. Depends on the weather and where we stay.

Also considering (if it's a perfect day, and it will be!) a car spot at Jefferson Notch and coming down Caps Ridge.
    ~Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by detour to the whites
    Probably Ammonoosuc up, Jewell down. Depends on the weather and where we stay.
    excellent loop, my favorite on the mountain. hopefully you'll have better weather than we did. we knew we were on the edge of great gulf, we just couldn't see it.
    5 Days 2007-2008