Thread: hiking guide

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default hiking guide

Hi ,

Which hiking guide would you recommend for a first hike on mount washington ? I looked on Mount Washington and the Presidential Range Trail Guide and it seems to be a nice hiking guide. The trip is planned on the second week of october. We would also like to spend a night or two on the mountain, possible or not ? and finally, at this time of the year, will we need winter clothes at the summit or a softshell with insulated shirt will do it ?

Thanks for your advices
    Last edited by mathieu; 07-23-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks

I don't know that paricular book, but read a few different sources to be well informed. You need to be prepared for cold in mid-October, with at least hat, gloves, shell, insulation, etc. Mid-October is tricky concerning temps. You might start hiking in 70 degrees in Pinkham Notch, but three hours later you find yourself in a stiff wind of 40 degrees. It's a beautiful place and time, but inform yourself about typical conditions.

Happy Trails

Thanks

Re-emphisizing that october weather is extremely variable...and pretty dangerous. Last year it hit 60 degrees a few times, then they dropped into the teens and 20s with around 7 feet of snow...

The heaviest rime ice events I've seen up there occurred in October and April, but alot of the time there is little snow/ice to be found...so be careful and prepare for anything

Thanks

Thx to all of you for your replies. I read a lot on internet about the weather on mount washington and it seems to be a tricky one. I don't plan to bring winter jacket but I guess that my the north face venture jacket with the zip-in shell will keep me warm (I also have the TNF apex bionic softshell in case of..)

I will order the hiking guide I talked about and give you my feedback about it.

Thanks

what about the overnight hike ?