Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April Snow

Thanks

Another 2.9" on the summit between 2pm and 8pm. The 8am to 2pm period didn't get coded so we'll have to wait until the morning update to get the full day.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Looks like...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    Another 2.9" on the summit between 2pm and 8pm. The 8am to 2pm period didn't get coded so we'll have to wait until the morning update to get the full day.
    From the web cam views this morning, looks like it is still snowing! The ravines look amply coated...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    We got about 10 inches here in Maine. Really looked nice this morning. The plumber put a bigger nozzle in the furnace that heats the driveway - and it worked very well. First thing in the morning I was able to drive up the steep driveway and go for coffee. Very nice. It is completely clear and clean. Snow that came throughout the day melted on contact.

driveway looked nice and clear at 2:00 today when you got propane

is your driveway concrete and what did you or they put under it to keep the heat from going down .
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawk
    is your driveway concrete and what did you or they put under it to keep the heat from going down .
    Come on, heat doesn't go down...it goes up! It may be elementary, but its true. I suppose you lose a little heat to conduction in the down direction, but it just adds to the thermal mass and it eventually works its way to the surface.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

in some of the jobs i put in floor heat in they do put a thin foil insulation before the slab was put in .
    and some jobs had stone .

Thanks

in some of the jobs i put in floor heat in they do put a thin foil insulation before the slab was put in .
    and some jobs had stone .
    Of course, my parent's house has radiant floor heating and in the basement there is foil insulation between the beams. Not only does it insulate, but the shiny coating reflects all the radiant heat back up.

Back to snowfall...looks like Mount Washington picked up more snow all day. Still recording -sn at 9pm. October aside this could be the biggest storm of the season.

The mountain had a full winter coating in all the cams today, but I never got a clear look on the Tux zoom. That will be the real indicator.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

driveway looked nice and clear at 2:00 today when you got propane

The driveway is asphalt - but my wife did not want the black color. So, she had them put cement dust on it. NEVER do this. The surface ends up too slick for driveway sealer to stick.

For a heated driveway one can do asphalt or cement. With asphalt the pipes are under the asphalt. With cement the pipes are in the cement. I was concerned about frost heaves and the trouble fixing things if we went cement. It turns out we will pull up a small section of asphalt to move the pipes a bit and relay a new surface.

With the asphalt system they cut down a bit - put in a insulating foil layer to radiate the heat up and reduce the heat loss from the ground which could be frozen underneath - then a 1 1/2" layer of stone dust - the PEX tubing held on a wire mesh - then covered over with more stone dust - then the asphalt. There is a sensor in the driveway that measured the temperature of the slab as well as humidity. Temperature outside goes down, humidity goes up and the system brings the slab temperature up to 45 degrees. There is quite a bit of tuning that has to be done - but, that is a good excuse for needing to go to Maine for a few days.

Oh, the propane truck - - - we were on generator power for 9 hours due to power lines being down. During the power outage I was out pressure washing the driveway to get up sealer that was coming off.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

thanks for the info i never heard of it being put in black top.
    do you have it on all the time and does it use a lot of propane.

Thanks

thanks for the info i never heard of it being put in black top.
    do you have it on all the time and does it use a lot of propane.
    I think he said it uses a temperature and humidity sensor. I'm guessing it goes on when the temp falls below freezing and the humidity approaches 100%.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

The system is designed to be "on" all the time and manage the melting needs. when it does not need to be melting it is in IDLE mode. I have that set for 31 degrees. The boiler does not come on often to keep the slab at 31F. the heated water just circulates through the PEX under the driveway slab. If the water temperature goes down too much the boiler will kick in and a variable speed pump will add hot water to the system.

When the system sees lower temperatures and higher humidity, then it "sees" water and goes into MELT mode which drives the temperature of the slab up to a melt temperature which I have set around 45F. We have tried several numbers. With the more powerful boiler the slab ramps up to 60 degrees and then settles down to the melt temperature. The other day our handyman and I were standing by the garage as it was snowing hard. Water was running down the driveway into the drains - a steady flow from snow melting on contact.

The above is how the system was designed and I figure uses about $70 a big snow storm to clear the driveway - cost of oil and electricity. In our case the driveway is so steep and no place to put snow - so, plowing is not an option. It would have to be snowblowed by hand.

So, I turn the system off when we are not there. When I see a forecast of snow I will go through the Internet and turn the system on. Using the web camera I can watch when it is done and turn it back off again. Or If there is snow on the driveway and we are about to head north for a visit, I will check the camera to see how much is there - then will pick a warmer day to turn the system on. Then it will not have to work as hard. So, we pick our days when we run it.

When we are there for vacation in the winter we have the system running in automatic mode all the time. A slight dew in the morning freezing and we would not get up the driveway. With the system I never have to worry about getting in or out.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012