Thread: Dogs

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Dogs

What would you all recommend about taking a dog up to the top of Mt Washington? I've seen many dogs hiking with their owners but I'm not sure if my dog would make it. He's in good shape and is outside for exercise. The only concern I have is that he is going to be nine years old this October. He shows very little signs of aging and is extremely healthy. Also. What's the rule about dogs and the summit? Are they allowed in the building or only outside?

Here's a couple recent pictures of Charlie if it helps.

Thanks

if the dog can last for a long walk at a fast pace then it might be OK but you know your dog . now the dog that was with the people on MT HOOD was use to the cold and snow ,so if your dog is a house dog and is not out in the cold or the summer heat then they will have a hard time
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawk
    if the dog can last for a long walk at a fast pace then it might be OK but you know your dog . now the dog that was with the people on MT HOOD was use to the cold and snow ,so if your dog is a house dog and is not out in the cold or the summer heat then they will have a hard time
    Well he sure can run for long distances a heck of alot faster than me lol. As for standing the elements, he's outside all the time in all seasons and loves the snow and also has no problems with the heat.

Thanks

Officially, dogs are not allowed inside the Sherman Adams Building. So I would count on not being able to bring him inside.

Make sure to bring a leash in case other dogs start causing trouble. Above treeline the dog will most likely stay on trail, but if he doesn't, you need to keep him on trail. The dog can do just as much damage to the tundra that a person can.

I'd bring some extra food or snacks for the dog because they are going to burn a lot more calories than a normal day.

If your dog is active then he should be fine, but dogs can be out of shape. The risk is that he gets tired and refuses to move or he cuts his pads because they aren't used to walking that much.

As long as you pick up his #2 and he isn't harassing the wildlife nobody should care about the dog on the trail.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses My dog is well trained but good idea about the leash to keep him out of trouble with other dogs.

Thanks

We have seen people hiking on Mt Washington with a very young dog. Later in the day they were going around calling for a dog that barely knew its name. I have no idea if they ever found those dogs.

I feel sorry for any dog that the owner would put them in this type of situation. On the other hand, I see well trained dogs out there all the time and it is a great thing for them too.

Emma, we need comments here from you.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012