Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Thanks

Default Dogs

What would you all recommend about taking a dog up to the top of Mt Washington? I've seen many dogs hiking with their owners but I'm not sure if my dog would make it. He's in good shape and is outside for exercise. The only concern I have is that he is going to be nine years old this October. He shows very little signs of aging and is extremely healthy. Also. What's the rule about dogs and the summit? Are they allowed in the building or only outside?

Here's a couple recent pictures of Charlie if it helps.

Thanks

if the dog can last for a long walk at a fast pace then it might be OK but you know your dog . now the dog that was with the people on MT HOOD was use to the cold and snow ,so if your dog is a house dog and is not out in the cold or the summer heat then they will have a hard time
    i am a Summit Club member
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/new pictures and videos

If your not a OBS member yet then what are you waiting for

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawk
    if the dog can last for a long walk at a fast pace then it might be OK but you know your dog . now the dog that was with the people on MT HOOD was use to the cold and snow ,so if your dog is a house dog and is not out in the cold or the summer heat then they will have a hard time
    Well he sure can run for long distances a heck of alot faster than me lol. As for standing the elements, he's outside all the time in all seasons and loves the snow and also has no problems with the heat.

Thanks

Officially, dogs are not allowed inside the Sherman Adams Building. So I would count on not being able to bring him inside.

Make sure to bring a leash in case other dogs start causing trouble. Above treeline the dog will most likely stay on trail, but if he doesn't, you need to keep him on trail. The dog can do just as much damage to the tundra that a person can.

I'd bring some extra food or snacks for the dog because they are going to burn a lot more calories than a normal day.

If your dog is active then he should be fine, but dogs can be out of shape. The risk is that he gets tired and refuses to move or he cuts his pads because they aren't used to walking that much.

As long as you pick up his #2 and he isn't harassing the wildlife nobody should care about the dog on the trail.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses My dog is well trained but good idea about the leash to keep him out of trouble with other dogs.

Thanks

We have seen people hiking on Mt Washington with a very young dog. Later in the day they were going around calling for a dog that barely knew its name. I have no idea if they ever found those dogs.

I feel sorry for any dog that the owner would put them in this type of situation. On the other hand, I see well trained dogs out there all the time and it is a great thing for them too.

Emma, we need comments here from you.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

My beagle went to the summit twice and had no troubles at all. The first day he would run way ahead of us and then back to us and then way ahead again etc. The second day he didn't take an extra step...just tagged along with us the whole day. Only trouble he had was on a steep pitch on Hillman's the first day when he wouldn't come down for a while. Even kept him overnight in a lean to one time - he was so tired he crawled into the bottom of my sleeping bag and didn't even stir until morning!! The only real issue i ran into was his paws getting cold / frozen.

Thanks

Default Dogs

All the above advice is excellent. My concerns would be, does your dog stay with you on the trail? or bolt all over once it gets outside? I used to do this, but I've learned to conserve my energy and stay with Kevin.I've heard there have been many rescues and some tragic endings. If your dog is used to taking long walks by your side, or at least near you, things should be fine. Does he respond to voice command? If neither of these are true, then I would keep him on a leash, I hate leashes, but sometimes they are a necessary evil. Along with lots of snacks be sure to bring lots of water, as there may not always be a convenient brook available. Many wilderness hikers hate it when I go in a brook muddying the water, as they are going to take water from there to filter for drinking. Are you going while there is snow on the ground? How are your dogs feet in the snow? I have clumping issues and stop frequently to chew ice off my paws when the snow is wet. Going into a brook exacerbates the problem. If you're waiting for warm weather and the snow to disappear, then above treeline has different issues. The mica-schist make-up of of Mount Washington is jagged and sharp, not smooth like granite. This can tear my pads to shreds. If he's a tender foot who doesn't get out on pavement or rocks too much, this could be a major problem. Some peoples dogs will wear the little padded slippers they sell for dogs, I won't. Judy helps me by using Musher's Secret. She puts this on my feet and it keeps the snow from sticking, and if there's no snow, it helps on the sharp rocks. Lastly, it can be real hot with the sun beating down above treeline, if I get too tired or won't move, Kevin turns around and gets me down out of the sun. One time in the pouring rain Judy couldn't stand it anymore and talked the engineer into taking us down on the Cog, but they were not happy about it and said I should never have gone up there with them. I wish I could have told them it wasn't me that was the problem, it was Judy!
    Emma

Thanks

Emma,

Thanks for the comments. It always seems you like the hiking (from what I can see in the pictures). There are things which can be rubbed on a dog's paws to keep them moist and protect them from the cold. Do you use this stuff - or just go Oh Natural?
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

I know there are products available that will protect your dog's feet/pads. They are like little "boots" for your dog.