Thread: World's Worst Weather

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default World's Worst Weather

There's a fairly heated debated unfolding over on another forum discussing the validity of Mount Washington's famous claim: Home of the World's Worst Weather.

http://viewsfromthetop.com/index-vftt.html

While there is quite a bit of passion there seems to be little factual evidence against Mount Washington.

So, my challenge, if its not Mount Washington then who has the world's worst weather?

Remember, altitude is not a factor in weather. In fact, higher altitudes only diminish the force of the wind. Also, spare me the cold arguments. My freezer is really cold but its not in the running for worlds' worst weather.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default Not scientific, but still valid

Wow, the thread on VFFT has been running since September!

You can compare average temperatures from one place to another, but how does one weigh temperature with, say, wind speed? There's no formula that factors the several components of weather to quantify its badness. So the claim "home of the world's worst weather" is a subjective one, but a defensible one nevertheless.

There's a great deal of nuance to weather severity. For instance, a 100 MPH wind on Mt Washington would be far more powerful than the same wind at Everest base camp, which would itself be more powerful than the same wind on Everest summit. Why? Lower altitude means higher pressure. Higher pressure means more air molecules beating against you. It's like the difference between standing in front of a garden hose and one of those pitching machines... kind of.

Even if you could plug wind speed, air pressure, and temperature (etc) into a formula to calculate "weather", would you use calculus to factor in rates of change? July 2, 2004 had a peak gust of 124 MPH, which isn't that spectacular for a place that has hurricane force wind 100+ days each year. What made July 2, 2004 so special was that the average speed before and after was about 50 MPG. The gust came out of nowhere. It's hard enough comparing the peaks and the norms, getting from one to the other is a big part of the big weather picture.

Of course, we aren't counting the weather in places we don't measure it. What about thunderstorm junction on Mt Adams? What about Rainier or Denali or Everest? What about an arbitrary spot in the middle of Antarctica? Saharan Africa?

The designation "home of the world's worst weather" is anthropocentric for sure, but you sticklers can tack on "that we know of". Try to fit that on a t-shirt, okay? :-)

Thanks

Default Not the answer But...

Not the answer but maybe a cool tidbit.
    When I went up the auto road this winter on a guided tour the
    women driving told us that a film crew was working on a story
    of Bad weather on Mt. Everest and after 2 weeks of calm days they
    desended Everest without wild weather on film from Everest.
    So the crew finished up the film by going up Mt Washington and filming the Crazy weather on Mt Washington and edited it on the Everest story.
    So long story short, a story of Mt Everest has Mt Washington footage
    of the poor weather on Mt Everest. Funny?
    I just thought it was a cool true story.
    See ya On Tux Tomorrow!
    Rick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freehill
    Not the answer but maybe a cool tidbit. When I went up the auto road this winter on a guided tour the women driving told us that a film crew was working on a story of Bad weather on Mt. Everest and after 2 weeks of calm days they desended Everest without wild weather on film from Everest. So the crew finished up the film by going up Mt Washington and filming the Crazy weather on Mt Washington and edited it on the Everest story. So long story short, a story of Mt Everest has Mt Washington footage of the poor weather on Mt Everest. Funny? I just thought it was a cool true story.See ya On Tux Tomorrow!
    Rick
    Yeah, it was the Everest Imax movie. Quite a bit of it was filmed on Mount Washington.

Is anybody ready to challenge me on who has worse weather than Mount Washington?
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Of course the "world's worst weather" moniker is relative at best. Judging by some taglines that I see on this forum, some would consider Maui's constant 70's with abundant sunshine to be the "worst" weather ever.
    So, Bill, I won't take up your challange, but I will continue to pine for the summit of Mt Washington. The important thing about this place is that I belong there, and as a member. I support it. As do all of you as well. We have a pretty good community here, and the summit responds by allowing us to live there vicariously with up-to-the-minute news and condition reports. There are very few other places on this planet that combine severe weather with the continuous reporting that I for one enjoy.

To close this, I would like to add my words of thanks to all that work on the summit (as well as the the supporting staff that keep it going), and to everyone else that supports the effort via memberships or grants or sponsorships.

Thanks

Default I'm new to these parts

Hello everyone. I normally frequent the VFtT board, but when someone mentioned that a thread was started here about the same subject, I thought I'd chime in. Honestly, I don't really have much to say that would add to the argument right now, because I'm probably talking to many people who think MWN indeed has the worst weather in America, if not the world.

But I have a question. A poster on VFtT said he couldn't understand how a place could have the worst weather in the world but not the worst climate in the world, because I agreed with him that the averages may not show the most harsh climate. But thats the thing...they are averages, and sometimes stats don't tell the whole picture. Over and over, I stressed that the incredible variability of the weather on MWN is what makes it special. It's like the mountain has mood swings, good weather one minute, and horrible weather the next. I also said that the strong, almost persistent wind is what puts MWN as a front runner for worst weather. The summit gusted to 156 mph last week....that's pretty insane!

So what do you, the observers think? I don't think its biased to go right to the source.

grouseking