Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World's Worst Weather

Thanks

Default Worst Weather

I'm not going to argue about whether MW has the worst weather or not. I want to talk about the worst weather I have experienced in my life, and then you can decide if MW is worse. While in the USAF I was stationed in Panama for close to 3 years. I don't know exactly how close to the equator Howard AFB was, but pretty close. An average day the temps would be 95 to 100 with no wind and humidity you wouldn't believe. From February to November it would be like this. Everyday the humidity would build into brutal thunderstorms with rain so heavy I can't describe it. Think of the hardest rain you've ever seen in New England and imagine it raining twice as hard or harder. Think of the worst thunderstorm you've seen in the northeast and multiply it many times. The lightning was like being in a room with a dozen strobe lights going off every few seconds. The thunder was like explosions going off around you. Then, just as quickly as it started, it would stop, the sun would come out, many times there would be an unbelievable double rainbow, and the whole process would start all over again. The wet ground and pavement would steam from the blistering heat, the steam would rise, the clouds would form, and in a few hours there would be a dark sky, the lightning would flash, you could here the approaching thunder, and the rain would start all over again. This went on every day for ten months out of the year. The grass would grow ten feet high, the jungle would grow so thick no human being could penetrate it, and then in December the rain would stop. For the next 2 months everything would dry out like when the leaves all turn brown and fall to the ground here. It would be so dry that this burnt vegetation would just combust, and we'd spend the next 8 weeks rushing from one brush fire to the next, trying to keep the base from burning. Now maybe my brain has exagerated my memories over the past 25 years since I've been stationed there, but what I have written is true to what I remember. To this day I can't stand the hot weather, and instead of being out in the 85 degree spring weather we're having here in southern NH today, I'm sitting in my nice cool basement tapping this out for your disbelief. Now to me, that was "The world's worst weather". I hated not having the 4 seasons. I'll take wind, ice and snow over that. Not necessarily the extremes we see on MW, but I prefer winter to the heat, humidity, bugs, scorpions and snakes I dealt with in Panama. So I guess it's all your point of view as to what the "worlds worst weather" is.
    KDT

Thanks

Default Define "worst"

I think the people in Oklahoma City during the last big tornado would say they have the worst weather. There was a town, Jasper,TX, that had such a bad tornado that concrete slabs were destroyed may make claim to that title also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TEX
    I think the people in Oklahoma City during the last big tornado would say they have the worst weather. There was a town, Jasper,TX, that had such a bad tornado that concrete slabs were destroyed may make claim to that title also.
    There's no doubt that tornadoes create some very bad weather but they rarely hit the same area twice.

It's almost a guarantee that at least one town in the United States will suffer extreme damage from a tornado this year. But the odds of any given town being leveled in a given year is close to zero.

Mount Washington gets tornado force winds every other day.

Be careful what you hear on the news. Tornado damage is often severe but its rarely as extensive as the media wants you to believe.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Watch "March of the Penguins" that weather seemed pretty bad.

But, for Mt Washington, I think "World's Worst Weather" should be replaced with "World's Most Consistently Awful Weather"

I guess to compare, anyone have stats on the number of sunny days on Everest vs Mt Washington?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy
    I guess to compare, anyone have stats on the number of sunny days on Everest vs Mt Washington?
    Mount Everest gets sun almost everyday. Outside of monsoon season its pretty much clear all the time. During monsoon its clear in the morning and clouds up in the afternoon then clears again after sunset.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default A Bit Off Topic

Can you believe I've never even been on MW?
    Seems weird. Here I am joining a forum that has to do with MW and I've never been there. Of course I've been close. I've done a lot of hikes in the area.
    As soon as I get the chance, I'm headin for the big boy! Then maybe I can get more involved with some more of the threads. (Like this one)

Any suggestions to which trail I should start off with? I'm a bit handicap, but not to the point where I can't climb. I just need to take it slow and be careful.
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*
    http://www.taps.org/

Please Support The MWO

www.joes-hiking-photos.com

Thanks

I think the Ammo Trail may be a good route for you, Joey. Most of the lower section (below tree line) is a gentle climb. From Gem pool though the hike gets pretty steep, almost a scramble to tree line. If you take your time though and have had time for that shoulder to heal you could probably do fine. Lakes Hut is just beyond tree line. The Jewel trail is a good way down with great views into Great Gulf. One thing to consider though is this route spends ALOT of time above tree line and so weather would be one concern. Round trip could take you approx. 8-9 hours so start early because I'm sure you will want to spend some time on the summit.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    I think the Ammo Trail may be a good route for you, Joey. ------ The Jewel trail is a good way down with great views into Great Gulf.
    Thanks for the trail advice Steve. I'll definitely check my books on this route. But I think I'll do a lot of real easy hikes at first, to get myself back into some sort of shape after this operation nightmare is over.

I'll probably check out MW around the beginning of the fall season. By then I should be back to normal. (I HOPE!)

Hey......I still have my gift certificate for the Cog. It was an anniversary present for my wife and I.
    So I WILL get to the summit before the fall, only with a bit of cheating!

Last edited by Joey Keyz; 05-04-2007 at 03:04 AM.
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*

Please Support The MWO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Keyz
    Hey......I still have my gift certificate for the Cog. It was an anniversary present for my wife and I.
    So I WILL get to the summit before the fall, only with a bit of cheating!

That should be a cool trip. I would enjoy taking the cog up the mountain since it's the only way I havn't gone up but I can't seem to come off the dough to do it. With a family of four it is quite an investment. It's cool that you have gift certificates to ride...Have fun!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    That should be a cool trip. I would enjoy taking the cog up the mountain since it's the only way I havn't gone up but I can't seem to come off the dough to do it. With a family of four it is quite an investment. It's cool that you have gift certificates to ride...Have fun!
    My wife and I are gonna wait for the perfect day to take the trip.
    Probably a week day so the crowd up there might not be so large.
    The weather has to be good..........I wanna see far!
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*

Please Support The MWO