Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You A Lone Hiker?

Thanks

Default Are You A Lone Hiker?

I was just wondering how many of you feel like I do.

I LOVE hiking by myself. To me there's nothing better then being out there in the forest or on a mountain alone. The sounds and the smell of pine really turns me on. I can hike at my own pace and open my mind to think about life and how beautiful this planet really is. I'm not a 4,000 footer, so my hikes are usually only from morning until dusk. Don't get me wrong, I dig being out hiking with my wife, but only on the simple logging trails. She's not big into climbing.

I don't know........I just love hiking alone........How about you?
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*
    http://www.taps.org/

Please Support The MWO

www.joes-hiking-photos.com

Thanks

Default Loner

The only place I ever hike alone anymore is on Mount Washington, the one place I probably shouldn't. It gives me time to reflect on what's going on in my life, time to think with no disturbances. Ninty nine percent of the time I'm on the trails with my wife and dog. She was not into the long hikes I used to take, then the first time we did a 4000 footer, she was ready to divorce me. I kept bugging her to go again telling her it would get better. She had lots of pain in her knees when we first started and scoffed at the idea of gettin her 48, but I was determined to get mine. Somehow I kept convincing her to go, and she would reluctantly give in. Then one day we came across this little stray dog in a in a city as bad as they get, and it was all up hill from there. After seeing how much this dog loved to run on the trails, not caring if it was up or down, as long as it was with us, it soon became necessary to get the 48, not just for herself, but for the dog, too. It even involved returning to several mountains she swore she'd never climb again, so the dog could add to her list. They finished on the Bonds 10/12/02 and have returned to most of them at least once again, since.

I guess my point is, if you had a dog, maybe you could get your wife to enjoy it more, but then, not all dogs are like Emma, and not all wives are like mine. Hiking alone definitely has it's virtues, but usually it's more fun with my wife and dog. Just my opinion.
    KDT

Thanks

I generally like my trails like this:

I guess I like it all. I like hiking alone, I like hiking with people, I enjoy empty trails, and I like passing other hikers.

When I'm alone I tend to hike really fast. I pretty much don't stop. I drink from my camelbak and I flip my backpack around to grab food. For the most part its a bad habit. I need to slow down and enjoy the hike more when time allows.

I also like seeing people on the trail. Talking about conditions, answering questions.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Bill, that is sooo funny! I don't mind people on the trails but too many people makes me feel like I'm at a theme park in line for another ride. Generally I'm in the mountains to get away from people, or at least a break from the norms of life. I used to hike alone constantly as a kid simply because no-one I knew liked to hike so I would go it alone. Now, having a family, getting alone on a hike is just about impossible, but enjoyable to be with my wife and kids on the trail. I think the best part of hiking with them is the time we spend talking about things we normally overlook in the day to day. I love to teach them about the forest and introduce them to new things other than video games. On another note though, they are not physically capable of hikes beyond a few miles and any major elevation gain and I have been longing to do a round trip up MW or any of the Presi's for that matter. If any of you are available for a day hike in June or July, which is when we are planning to be up there, I would love to hook up and hit the trails.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O
    I generally like my trails like this:

Whoa!!! That's a lot of people Bill!

Where was that?
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*
    http://www.taps.org/

Please Support The MWO

www.joes-hiking-photos.com

Thanks

Its Mount Fuji, and I didn't take it. I know there are photos of Mount Fuji with more people, but I couldn't find any.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

I too, prefer relative solitude. Not necessarily alone, but not jostling elbows either. Living here out West it is somewhat easier to get away from the crowds than in the East. In Colorado the 14'ers are a main attraction, and I haven't done a one. Even when there is a common trailhead to a 14'er and a high 13'er, the ratio of people heading up the 14'er is 10:1. And the photos from the mountains are so much nicer, in my eyes, when they aren't cluttered up with so many people. Here in the valleys, I have to be sociable, and I enjoy it. In the mountains, however, I prefer to have everyone at an arm's length, an extremely long arm's length.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    Now, having a family, getting alone on a hike is just about impossible, but enjoyable to be with my wife and kids on the trail. I think the best part of hiking with them is the time we spend talking about things we normally overlook in the day to day. I love to teach them about the forest and introduce them to new things other than video games. If any of you are available for a day hike in June or July, which is when we are planning to be up there, I would love to hook up and hit the trails.

I agree with WSR88D. Hard to get out alone but, fun with my family. Luckily all of them are very much into hiking and the kids (3 boys) have been since they could hold their heads up. My oldest, 7 actually asks to go hiking...probably because he doesn't own a handheld video game (rare), just a handheld GPSR. He'll be doing STP with us in July and is very excited! Fun to explain to him the concept of raising money for a good cause...and he gets it too! Hiking with people is fine...crowds stink! We'll be up there June into July.
    ~Rich

Thanks

This an interesting question. I enjoy hiking on Mt Washington alone. Those times I have done it have been quite different from other hikes. Yes, they were at my pace - probably slower because of spending more time to look, wonder, think, enjoy, take pictures - and talk with others on the trail. But, I pick my days and watch the weather very carefully.

Most of the time I have been hiking with friends or family. I enjoy taking them to the summit for the first time - looking out over the Alpine Garden - realizing they are going down Tuckermans Headwall later - watching the clouds form in the valley and race up the slopes to part in front of their face. It is too beautiful not to share. And it is safer.

Most trails on Mt Washington in the summer have others out there hiking too. So, if you are alone there are people who can help each other. Many trails around in the mountains of NH and Maine don't get much foot traffic though. I am not sure I would be off on some of those alone - but, I would love to grab my camera and go. I would not plan as long a hike or day on one of these trails. Maybe it is partly because I know the trails on Mt Washington so well.

I have thought about taking our dog with me as I know he would love it. He needs some tips and hints from Emma before he is willing to join me.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Are You A Lone Hiker?

Unfortunately, being totally honest, as a woman alone I wouldn't feel comfortable with solitary hiking...that is probably a silly notion, and I shouldn't watch the news so much I guess.

However, I do prefer solitude when I am out in nature more than being with other people...I think for me, being alone gives me a chance to "recover" and the ability to refresh my spirit by focusing totally on the elements, sights, sounds, etc. around me without distraction