Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Tuckerman Conditions

Thanks

Default Upcoming Tuckerman Conditions

A few of my friends and I are interested in hiking up the Tuckerman trail on May 12th. Would anyone like to guess on what the trail conditions will be like? Are crampons and poles necessary, or will good boots do? We're all relatively inexperienced, so I'm basically trying to determine whether we're biting off more than we can chew.

Thanks for any insight,
    Zach

Thanks

Trail: Tuckerman's Ravine Trail
    Date Hiked: 4-25-07

Conditions: Packed snow

Special Required Equipment: Bare booted it on the way up. Used snowshoes for the return. I would suggest snow crampons for both ways. Poles are a help.

Comments: Was realtively quiet today in the ravine. Some skiers and snowboarders provided entertainment. Wait for the weekend if you want more action to observe.

Submitted by:skibones

Got this off of "Views form the Top" website. See link below:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/trail/nh/index.html

You may want to consider Lion's Head Trail. Just a suggestion.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I saw that post too, but I figured a lot will change in three weeks, especially during this time of the year.

Thanks

That's true. Welcome to the forums by the way!!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Always be prepared for ANYTHING.
    Ya never know what your gonna get this time of the year.

And like WSR88D said, "Welcome To MWO"
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*
    http://www.taps.org/

Please Support The MWO

www.joes-hiking-photos.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Keyz
    Always be prepared for ANYTHING.
    Ya never know what your gonna get this time of the year.

And like WSR88D said, "Welcome To MWO"
    Having been caught in terrible weather conditions - horizontal freezing rain - snow white out conditions - in the summer, I know that anything can happen up there with the weather. Joey is right - be prepared for anything. Start watching the weather a week or more before going up. Watch what the weather is - how it is changing - what it does throughout the day - see how that changes as you get closer to your hike day. Then judge what the weather will be on hike day and pick what is practical for those conditions.

The beauty of the mountain is that each year everything is different. A few warm days and a lot of the snow pack could be gone. But, at night it will freeze back up. Right now it is 18 degrees on the summit. Check out the Auto Road Vertical Temperature profile page to see how the temperatures change as one goes up. It is an excellent tool.
    www.mountwashington.org/weather/arvtp/
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Tux

You don't say if you're planning on going to the summit via Tux. If you are you will almost definitely need crampons and probably an ice ax and the knowledge of their use to climb the headwall, if the trail is not shut due to falling ice. It could also be impassable due to melting snow and flooded trails. There is good advice in the previous posts. Be prepared for anything and have an alternate plan. You may have to take the Lion's Head route, in which case you will probably still need crampons at the very least. If you're inexperienced the amount of knowledge you need to make a safe trip at this time of year on Mount Washington cannot be gained in a couple of quick posts. Check the section of this website that describes climbing MW and the equipment you will need, and check the previous thread about fall hiking on MW. There is a load of excellent information there. Good luck and hike smart.
    KDT

Thanks

I forgot what mountain I was climbing at the time, but I do remember what happened that day. I checked the weather forecast before making the climb. All was great it said. Clear blue skies, not much wind and temps in the high 40's at the base. I humped up slowly for a few hours (I love to look around and take pictures) and all of a sudden, the dark clouds came in. It began to snow so hard. It was beautiful in one way but scary in an other way. I didn't expect THAT! I was alone. (I love hiking alone) But being a hiker who likes to hike alone, I have to make sure my pack is totally complete for any situation. This means I have one of the heaviest packs known to man! haha But...like we are all saying here.......be prepared for anything. It's worth it!
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*
    http://www.taps.org/

Please Support The MWO

www.joes-hiking-photos.com

Thanks

What's your plan? Are you going to the summit or just to watch skiing in the floor of Tuckerman Ravine?

It makes a difference. Going to the summit you are probably going to need crampons and ice axe, unless there is an epic meltdown in the next two weeks.

Going to the floor of the ravine you wont need any of that. Maybe some ski poles to help, but you could make it without crampons and ice axe very easily.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

All, thanks for the advice. We wanted to hike to the summit, but are willing to take other routes like Lion Head or Boott Spur. I'm pretty sure that none of us have crampons. I'm beginning to think it might be better to do this in June/July, in which case I'll have to wait until next year. I'm thiking we might just go and hike to watch the skiers but not push for the summit.

Thanks again.