Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upcoming Tuckerman Conditions

Thanks

Default Tux

You'll need crampons on Lion's Head, maybe not on Boott Spur. If you're just going to the bowl to watch skiers and not pushing for the summit, good waterproof boots will do it and a pole (or 2), as Bill says. If you postpone until June or July the blackflies'll eat ya alive, until you get above treeline. I like to hike in September the best, but you have to be real careful about the weather, as you do all year, but theres no flies.
    KDT

Thanks

Hi. I was planning of coming to Mount Washington tomorrow to ski it down with friends of mine.

I was wondering if it's absolutely mandatory to have crampons because we don't have some. You seem to insist pretty much on that point. If so, is it possible to borrow or rent some at Pinkham Notch or I should bring some from the city.

The plan would be to hike tuckerman's ravine all the way up and ski whatever is skiable

Thanks for the upcoming feedback

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian hiker
    Hi. I was planning of coming to Mount Washington tomorrow to ski it down with friends of mine.

I was wondering if it's absolutely mandatory to have crampons because we don't have some. You seem to insist pretty much on that point. If so, is it possible to borrow or rent some at Pinkham Notch or I should bring some from the city.

The plan would be to hike tuckerman's ravine all the way up and ski whatever is skiable

Thanks for the upcoming feedback
    You probably don't need any. Most people just boot up Tuckerman's to ski it. Especially if the snow is softened by the sun.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Talking Generic weather forecast for Mount Washington

Winds ranging from 0-120+ mph
    Full sun to blowing snow, possible snow blindness to whiteout conditions (and everything in-between)
    Temperatures ranging from the mid to high 60's, above or below zero ( OK, that might be exaggerating it a bit)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zach_MIT
    All, thanks for the advice. We wanted to hike to the summit, but are willing to take other routes like Lion Head or Boott Spur. I'm pretty sure that none of us have crampons. I'm beginning to think it might be better to do this in June/July, in which case I'll have to wait until next year. I'm thiking we might just go and hike to watch the skiers but not push for the summit.

Thanks again.
    Being inexperienced at this and not really sure of yourself you would be making a good decision to do this hike in the summer first where the weather is less likely to turn deadly. Trail conditions can change as rapidly as the weather. Even small mistakes or miscalculations could become a major deal quickly. Winter still has its hold on the mountain above tree line even in May. Another thought is to hike it with a guide that has experience on the mountain. It will cost you more but the benefits would be worth it in terms of peace of mind and the education they can provide.
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian hiker
    Well........Let's have it.......pictures.......story?

How did it go CH?
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*
    http://www.taps.org/

Please Support The MWO

www.joes-hiking-photos.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zach_MIT
    All, thanks for the advice. We wanted to hike to the summit, but are willing to take other routes like Lion Head or Boott Spur. I'm pretty sure that none of us have crampons. I'm beginning to think it might be better to do this in June/July, in which case I'll have to wait until next year. I'm thiking we might just go and hike to watch the skiers but not push for the summit.

Thanks again.
    Zach,

I am planning a summit attempt on the same day. As of right now I am planning on going Boott Spur to the summit & back down the same way. If you still think that you are going to try climbing on the 12th shoot me an email or a private message & we can discuss the undertaking. It's serious business up there at any time of the year but Winter is when the Whites are truly a magical place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Keyz
    Well........Let's have it.......pictures.......story?

How did it go CH?

Sorry for the slow answer. I was in a climbing mountain mood in the lasts days and wasn't close from a computer. Ski was great when I went there from may 2 to may 4. It was a bit windy though and cold. There was plenty of snow. I had a grat time

I heard tuckerman's ravine trail thru the ravine was presently close due to melting snow

Thanks

I made the climb on Saturday & the weather was amazing. At the last moment they opened Lions Head Summer route & I decided to take it to the summit. I descended via Boott Spur. Here is a link to the photos....

Mt. Washington Photos From 5/12/07