Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Presidential Traverse in June

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockin rex
    My thought is why would you stay in a hut with scouts when you could stay at the perch or Gray Knob.
    I'm thinking the reservations have been made. Good advice, but not likely to change this trip.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Friends laugh at me mid summer when I pack long sleeve shirts and sweat shirts, fleece, knit hats, winter gloves - for a hike up Washington. Even on a nice day I take it all. I have been caught too many times in "nice weather" in snow and freezing rain the first week of August to not go prepared for anything.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

It is handy (even in summer) to have a long sleeve sweat shirt or the equivalent for each person. I mean an extra one. If the clouds roll in tight it can get hard at times to see the next rock cairn on the trail. Each hiker holds the end of a sleeve and the next person in line holds the other sleeve. The first person goes out looking for the cairn - till s/he sees it and then the others follow the sleeve. It is slow, but it works well in low visibility and keeps folks on the trail more than off it.
    Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012

Thanks

Default Just to clarify

Hi folks,
    I just wanted to be clear. Although I am the “trip master” for the trip, this trip was put together by committee. We have a Troop with 44 registered Scouts and over 25 Scouters. The trip has been in the works since last summer. Many hike options and variations were considered and debated. So to answer the question, “My thought is why would you stay in a hut with scouts when you could stay at the perch or Gray Knob.”
    This is what the Scouts wanted to do. It’s their troop and they decided from the options presented to them. They wanted to go high and far. And they wanted to go light. The trip was only opened to Scouts of certain age, rank and willingness to commit to the preparation (and cost). These are the top 9 of 44. All Eagle or Life rank. All “Order of the Arrow” Most members of our venture crew. I do have two Scouts that concern me and if we don’t feel they are ready physically or their hiking heads aren’t on straight, then they don’t go. The scouts made the commitment to this trip in order to “Scale up” not “Scale back”. To some this will be the biggest challenge to date but there are no novice hikers in the group.
    In my previous posts I also may have understated the hiking and camping experience and credentials of our group of leaders. As a group, we are well qualified for this hike. It was my intent to come here and pick the brain of some experts in and of the “Whites”. To pick up a few training tips and maybe catch something we/I may have over looked both on the trail and in the huts. It would be irresponsible for me to do anything less. I wanted to be clear that we are not a bunch flatlander cubs heading up a hill for the first time (which is how I may have sounded). So far the information has been great. Thanks and keep it coming.
    T/C 2

Thanks

I think they'll be fine. It will be a good adventure and a challenging day from Mitzpah to Madison. It will be a rewarding accomplishment.

Training with a pack will help. No need to go overboard though. Most people who run the marathon never even run the full distance until the race.

I think you just need to be careful if the weather is wet and cold. Like 50's and light rain or even thick fog. You might not feel cold like in the winter but your body temp could slowly be dropping.

I always bring a hat and light gloves to the Whites even in the summer.

Also...let's not go overboard here. If you followed everyone's recommendations you'd have 150 pound packs and you wouldn't leave the parking lot if there was a cloud within 100 miles. Tens of thousands of people hike in the Whites every year with poor clothing, bad weather, and no experience and they all seem to survive somehow. Common sense will get you a long way.
    Last edited by Bill O; 05-03-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

tc/2 Thanks for the update/clarification - your group experience and commitment is much clearer now. The only thing I can think to add is to expound on bill o's post - going light is fine as long as you bring adequate clothing to protect yourselves if you get caught above treeline when the weather turns - that is be sure all of you are wearing a synthetic top skin layer, and have with you a fleece or similar insulating layer and some type of waterproof/breathable jacket, fleece or wool cap and gloves. Wind pants would be nice as well. 2 liters of water each and some trail snacks as well as a lightweight sleeping pad and flashlight/compass and trail maps. Each of you should be able to keep your packs at 20-25lbs. Good luck - the forum is pulling for a safe and enjoyable trip for you.
    Tim

Thanks

Good luck guys! I have fond memories of my scouting days. We did alot of hiking and camping in CT and those were some of the most memerable times of my life. Your giving those guys something they will carry with them for the rest of their lives!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Smile sounds like great trip

If the scouts chose to stay at the huts and they are setting the order of the trip then enjoy. Madison hut is a GREAT place and I have stayed there a few times. The croo is usually awesome and after a long day over the traverse you folks will be very happy to be there. The only problem is you need to make sure you make it in by dinner or you might miss out. I have made it in late a few times and have been able to eat with the croo but it is totally up to them. Be sure to leave Mitzpah right after breakfast so you have plenty of time to make it across. You also want to figure in a break at the top of Washington. The other item is seeing you are a large group you might want to see if the croo at Madison can hold bunks for you in the same bunk room.
    The bunks go on a first come basis and last in gets last choice. Your group would probably like to be together in the same bunk room so you will need to pre arrange that. When lights go out you can throw on a head lamp and stay up in the common room reading or playing games (they have a bunch)
    as long as you are quiet. Madison Hut is also one of the best for sunsets and sunrises. Enjoy the hike and hope you and the scouts have an amazing time.

Thanks

Default Update & Question

One of the Scouts I was concerned about opted out of the hike. I'm glad he did it on his own. I didn't want to ask him to. He's a great kid. He is going to the World Jamboree in England this summer and he "needs concentrate on prep for that." The second Scout preformed poorly on yesterdays training hike (5 fast miles in full pack. Hilly but, nothing steep). His Dad is one of the adults on the trip and he's aware of his son’s stamina issue. If he's not ready I'm sure they won't force the issue.

Question: Does anyone know of any hiking or climbing film documentaries of the White Mountains. We are going to have pizza and movie night for the "Presidential Patrol" and we were looking for something along those lines. If not, any suggestions?
    I got the book "Not with out Peril". I just started it. Makes you think...Thanks for the tip. I also got "Tales told from the shadows of the White Mountains". Should be more of a fun read.

Great forum!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Tom

Thanks

Good luck.......have fun and be safe Tom.

Looking forward to pictures and stories when you return.

Joey
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*
    http://www.taps.org/

Please Support The MWO

www.joes-hiking-photos.com