Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Presidential Traverse in June

Thanks

Default videos

Tom - sounds like things are falling in place for you. I'm sure you'll gain a lot of wisdom from "Not Without Peril" - best I've ever read about the White Mountains. I'm not aware of any video's specifically dealing with the White's, but you might want to contact the AMC desk in Pinkham Notch - they have a good selection of books there and they may have a video, that fits what you are looking for. They are always very helpful.
    Tim

Thanks

Question progress update & question

Well, a lot has happened since my last posting. Our group was reduced from 20 to 14. Some solid training/shakedown hikes seemed to help work things out for the better.

Question: Mizpah to Madison in 10 hrs? 14 of us in pretty good shape. Our goal is to hit the trail after breakfast at Mizpah, half hour lunch at Mt Washington and make dinner at Madison. Obviously weather is a factor.

Waddaya think?

Tom

Thanks

Thumbs up sounds right

Figure 2 miles an hour for the hike and you should be right on. You will also want to take some breaks on the summits so figure an hour for all breaks including the half hour on Washington. You guys if the weather is nice should have no problem making Madison for dinner. Good luck and enjoy!!
    Hiking for dinner will keep your group moving. The hut desserts are outstanding!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Default mizpah to madison

Quote Originally Posted by Troop/Crew 2
    Well, a lot has happened since my last posting. Our group was reduced from 20 to 14. Some solid training/shakedown hikes seemed to help work things out for the better.

Question: Mizpah to Madison in 10 hrs? 14 of us in pretty good shape. Our goal is to hit the trail after breakfast at Mizpah, half hour lunch at Mt Washington and make dinner at Madison. Obviously weather is a factor.

Waddaya think?

Tom
    Tom - my .02 - it's doable with all of you in good shape, (although I'm not sure how enjoyable) - you need a very aggressive pace - to complete it. 2 miles per hour is a quick pace on that terrain (lots of rock hopping and up and down)- you may need to skip some of the summit loops. Be sure all are packed and bunks squared away before breakfast - so you can bolt right after you eat. Good luck - I hope the weather is with you. Looking forward to your trip report.
    Tim

Thanks

Default One last question

Hi Folks,
    One last question before we embark on our adventure this weekend.

What is the customary gratuity for the croo at the huts. We have a group of 14. About how much per person?

Our “Presidential Patrol” is ready to roll! Friday afternoon we hike from the Highland Center to Mizpah. Saturday (will be a hustle) from Mizpah to Madison (Crawford Path-Gulfside Trail). Sunday we descend down Valley Way Trail. Look for us! Say Hello……

Tom

Thanks

I didn't know there was one.

I don't think its necessary, but if you decide to give I'm sure they'll appreciate anything.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Default gratuity

It's really whatever you feel comfortable with. These kids work incredibly hard for little pay under adverse conditions, often being called on to assist hikers in trouble. Any amount is appreciated. Customary, from what I have observed is anywhere from a couple of dollars up to 5 or 10 pp.

Thanks

If you've ever stayed at a hut you know what the morning entertainment usually is. They do a small (usually) funny skit that at the end hints towards leaving a tip. Some people leave one, some don't. For a group your size it's tough to say. The AMC hut fees have gone up quite a bit in recent years. If I'm not mistaken the non-AMC fee is $90 this year and like Climbabout has said I don't think the kids working at the huts get very much of that. I'd leave them something but not go overboard.

Thanks

Default $ tips for croo

The Croo is what makes or breaks the hut. I have had much interaction with hut croo's and they never cease to amaze me!! They are the hut. They clean, they cook, they entertain as host and last but not least they carry all the food in on their backs that the guest eat. In emergency situations they are also the first to be called to help out. When my family and I stay at a hut we always leave a 20.00 in the croo jar. I feel between 5.00 and 10.00 per person is fair. If you see the croo on the trail with a 100 plus pounds on their backs you will agreee. You will also agree if god forbid you are in an emergency situation and they show up to help. The croo survives on the tips that guest leave so please keep that in mind. To the scout troop good luck on your Presi traverse and please let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Thanks

Default gratuity

Never forget the value of foodstuffs! If you get to a hut early enough and can keep it in your pack where its not too affected by body heat, I've taken them some bananas and/or oranges.