Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deck cam items...?

Thanks

Default Riming

As usual, I was off on my prediction. The temp on the summit only dipped to 23F last night. If indeed it dropped to the teens in the valleys, then there was an inversion where the temps on the summit were warmer than the valleys. This of course had nothing to do with riming as I was forgetting my basics. Passing clouds form the rime ice on the summit and frost is a totally different process. Bill, of course knows this, so I probably gave him a good chortle. Not sure where to look to see if they had any clouds or riming last night. Looked at the 24 hour stats but cloud cover and riming isn't listed. Would it be in the Metar? Also, is there an archive of the ARVTP? This would show the inversion assuming all the stations were on line and there was indeed an inversion. Bill?

Maybe the observers could help out on this one. Was there any riming or frost or anything on those instruments last night or this morning?
    KDT

Thanks

There probably was an inversion last night. As is often the case during good radiational cooling. Inversions, another cloud killer.

I've heard rumors that new premium content may include some sort of ARVTP archive or graph.

I'm looking at the metar from last night and I don't see any freezing fog codes. In fact, the air is quite dry with large dewpoint depressions. Plenty cold, but no clouds.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Looks like the summit could see some riming conditions over the next few days.
    Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

According to the latest Metar they are seeing Freezing rain, Freezing fog, and light icing. Lets hear it for ICE!!!
    Steve
    Is there really any BAD weather???

Thanks

Looks like we got some rime on them cans!!
    Steve

Thanks

More on those cans:
    Taken from yesterdays obs comments,
    "I never thought that I would be deicing the tower during the second half of May. I guess this mountain always has ways to surprise and keep you on your toes. It was a welcomed surprise however, as this may be the most useful data that we have recorded in respect to ice accumulation on the large gray cylinders that are visible on our deck view cam."
    Steve

Thanks

I was impressed with the amout of ice just on the guide wires...

Thanks

Yes, but now it is all in a pile on the ground around the cans

Thanks

I guess at this time of year not much can be expected as far as ice is concerned.
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSR88D
    More on those cans:
    Taken from yesterdays obs comments,
    "I never thought that I would be deicing the tower during the second half of May. I guess this mountain always has ways to surprise and keep you on your toes. It was a welcomed surprise however, as this may be the most useful data that we have recorded in respect to ice accumulation on the large gray cylinders that are visible on our deck view cam."
    How about that, one month later and we have ice on the cans and instruments again! This is what I love about this mountain. It's far from boring at any time of the year.
    Steve