Default Fire On The Mountain

I'm guessing this is not the Bio-Diesel engine:

And here's the culprit:

Bill
    Next up: Vermont City Marathon: May, 2011
    EasternLight

Thanks

Does the cog run year round?

Thanks for letting me in on what the smoke was as I have seen it before and wondered what was going on up there.

I thought maybe some big bonfire and party but I guess not.

Lloyd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lwa11
    Does the cog run year round?
    No, they just broke through that big snow drift near the summit this week.

They might run a train lower down on the mountain year round, or at least intermittently. But certainly not to the summit. Although, if they avoided the worst weather I'm sure they could go to the summit year round.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I seem to recall a push a few years back (or maybe more than just a few) for the cog to run a regular schedule in the winter, primarily so skiers could run the bowl easier. My recollection is the the park and the observatory were not too keen on the idea as they were afraid that they would have to provide shelter and services to those that ended up stuck there due to bad weather or inabil;ity to read train schedules. In any case I think either the NFS, or the state parks finally nixed the idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrad Fischroy
    I seem to recall a push a few years back (or maybe more than just a few) for the cog to run a regular schedule in the winter, primarily so skiers could run the bowl easier. My recollection is the the park and the observatory were not too keen on the idea as they were afraid that they would have to provide shelter and services to those that ended up stuck there due to bad weather or inabil;ity to read train schedules. In any case I think either the NFS, or the state parks finally nixed the idea.
    In the winter of 04/05 they ran a "ski" train but not to access the ravines. I think they went up to the first water tank and let skiers ride down the clearing next to the tracks. As I predicted, it failed miserably.

Many, many years ago they used to haul skiers up to the summit so they could get to the ravines, snowfields, Great Gulf, etc, but that proved to be very dumb. Letting any Joe just hop on the train to gain easy access to Tucks is about as dangerous as lawn darts. That ski train is never coming back.

On the other hand, the Auto Road is opening earlier and earlier every year so many skiers are taking advantage of this. Tucks is usually melted out by then but good skiing still exists in the east snowfields and the Great Gulf.
    Bill
    EasternLight

Thanks

I was snowboarding at Bretton Woods on March 31 of last year, and we drove up to the cog afterwards to find they had a ski train. Conditions didn't look good, so we didn't go up. "We'll do it next year". Well, that was it, the ski train didn't return this season

I understand why, it's got to be expensive to run up the mountain in the winter, and you know you don't have a full load of paying tourists. Plus the liability of skiing next to the timbers holding up the tracks.

It was a neat idea. Maybe they'll revisit it in the future and hold special "ski days" once in a while. That might get more people on the train, instead of running it everyday.

Here are the shots I took (remember these are from 2006, not 2007)

http://picasaweb.google.com/spyboy/CogRailwaySkiTrain

Kirk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill O

Many, many years ago they used to haul skiers up to the summit so they could get to the ravines, snowfields, Great Gulf, etc, but that proved to be very dumb. Letting any Joe just hop on the train to gain easy access to Tucks is about as dangerous as lawn darts. That ski train is never coming back.
    OK, your many, many years ago must equate to my "a few years back" As it has been a bit of time since I last lived in the area, my sense of time passage is less than ideal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spyboy
    Here are the shots I took (remember these are from 2006, not 2007)

http://picasaweb.google.com/spyboy/CogRailwaySkiTrain

Kirk
    Looks great Kirk!
    My wife and I have a gift cert. for two on the Cog.
    I can't wait to take it up there. I'm kinda waiting for that
    perfect day....weather wise, ya know.
    "HIKE THE WHITES"

......Support
    ....T*A*P*S*
    http://www.taps.org/

Please Support The MWO

www.joes-hiking-photos.com

Thanks

You know, the last (and only) time I rode the cog, I was 3 months old Way back in 1970...

My 37th birthday was in April, so I guess I owe it to myself to get up there this summer.

Kirk

Thanks

When my mother was in her mid-80's I took her up the Cog for the day. She had lived in New England all her life and loved the outdoors - but, had never been up Mt Washington. So, we took off for the day and she loved it. She had this glow and smile all day - and long afterwards. We are talking about getting her 94 year old cousin up there this summer.

Here is a picture of my mother that day.

Brad (a 6288 club member)
    http://bradstreet.zenfolio.com Personal Photo sales site
    http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet Personal photo web site
    http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/2012/ MWO image & video archive site 2006-2012