For the latest Observatory news, please visit our
- Open House in Celebration of the 231 MPH "Big Wind"
The non-profit Mount Washington Observatory will be offering a free, family-friendly Open House at its Weather Discovery Center in North Conway Village in celebration of the 86th anniversary of the 231 MPH wind recorded on April 12, 1934.
Explore the exhibits, museum store and meet with various Observatory staff members.
At 11:15am & 2:15pm there will be free live video connections to the Observatory’s mountaintop weather station allowing visitors to meet observatory scientist Ian Bailey and see what is happening on Mount Washington.
Staff will be onsite to share information about Observatory events, educational outreach, research, membership and ways to become more involved with this legendary non-profit organization.
For more information and directions to the Weather Discovery Center,
visit MountWashington.org or call (603) 356-2137.
- 20th Anniversary Seek the Peak Hike-a-thon Event!
As the largest annual fundraiser for the nonprofit Mount Washington Observatory, Seek the Peak welcomes hikers of all ages and abilities to Mount Washington and its neighboring peaks in the beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire.
We invite you to Seek YOUR Peak... many hikers will choose the challenge of summiting Mount Washington, others will opt for alternative treks, or may even prefer a short "nature hike." Some may just want to support the Observatory as "virtual hikers," or simply join the weekend festivities.
•Friday, July 17
- Kick-Off Party and Registration at the Weather Discovery Center in North Conway
- Observatory Weather Station tours on the summit of Mount Washington (both days)
•Saturday, July 18
- The STP Vendor Expo featuring sponsors Eastern Mountain Sports, Oboz Footwear, The Mt. Washington Auto Road, emceed by Backpacker Magazines Get Out More Tour lead Randy Propster and several vendors showcasing gear at the base of the Auto Road (2:00-6:00pm) – FREE and OPEN TO PUBLIC
- Dinner & Awards including a massive gear giveaway (6:00pm-7:30pm)
- All while supporting the non-profit Mount Washington Observatory with pledges that earn you prizes!
Ultimately the weekend is an incredible gathering of like-minded outdoor enthusiasts who have come together to Seek their Peaks in support of Mount Washington Observatory.
Registrants are asked to raise a minimum of $200 as part of their participation; in turn they are awarded with fabulous prizes and more!
Be in the first 500 to raise $200 and earn an exclusive Cotapaxi - Eastern Mountain Sports STP backpack.