For the latest Observatory news, please visit our
Monday - Tuesday - Thursday
- "Home of the World Worst Weather Live"
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic that is forcing schools nationwide to go to virtual classrooms we will offer free distance learning programs three times a week to support educators in their efforts to provide remote learning opportunities.
Students and weather enthusiasts can connect live at 11:15 AM to the highest peak in the Northeastern US, Mount Washington, New Hampshire, as Weather Observers and Education Specialists at MWO present Facebook Live (facebook/MWObs) sessions. Learn More....
- 20th Anniversary Seek the Peak VIRTUAL Hike-a-thon Event!
As the largest annual fundraiser for the nonprofit Mount Washington Observatory, we need your support more than ever before!
We invite you to Seek YOUR Peak... in response to the COVID 19 pandemic we have had to shift gears and encourage participants to hike from anywhere in the world. Hiking not required! You may just want to support the Observatory as a registered donor or simply support another hiker.
•July 1-18, 2020
- Although we won’t hike together for the 20th anniversary of Seek the Peak we will celebrate your hike and support! Hike your mountain of choice and share your adventure with our Seek the Peak Facebook Group or email details to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share with the Seek the Peak community.
We need your help to create a set of celebratory Seek the Peak Prayer Flags* in honor of this amazing event over the years. There will be a strand for every year. Past participants can send in their 8.5"x11" flag as soon as the would like. STP 2020 participants can do their hike of choice between July 1-18, 2020 and send their information in on a commemorative 8.5"x 11" flag made on cloth (or material of choice). Please include name, year or years (you can send one for every year if you would like), summit and and design of choice. You can use our template (available here), a STP or MWO logo as a graphic or design whatever you would like.
*We will tie every hiker flag together and we will fly the commemorative STP prayer flag from the summit of Mount Washington in celebration of all of our participants who hiked near and far! Date TBD
•July 17-18, 2020
- The Great Gear Giveaway will go on! We will plan to do a Facebook Live prize drawing event - stay tuned for details.
- We are cautiously optimistic that we might be able to offer some type of STP Vendor Expo and opportunity for prize pick-up at the Weather Discovery Center in North Conway. Stay tuned for information as we learn more about the states re-opening guidelines.
•STP Prayer Flag - Takes Flight - Date TBD
- Follow us on Facebook Live as we roll out the 20th anniversary commemorative STP Prayer Flag off the summit tower to thank all of our STP participants for their incredible support over the years.
Registrants are asked to raise a minimum of $300 as part of their participation; in turn they are awarded with fabulous prizes and more!
Be in the first 500 to raise $200 and earn an exclusive Cotopaxi - Eastern Mountain Sports STP backpack.